wwiding

The more I look around the property, the more useful things I find! A couple years ago, my cousin had pigs in the chicken coop, I'm going to see if it's good enough to mix in with the soil. Any pointers? I know I want it to smell like dirt, and it's been sitting for a year or two. The pigs were only fed grains, no meat. I'm not sure if it broke down enough though, since it's been in the chicken coop, not outside in the sun.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's probaly ok, but trust your nose to make the right call...

If it don't smell like poo, it'll probably do... :wink:

You are getting the hang of this fast... :D

HG

wwiding

Well it doesn't smell like junk, but it still looks like it, but it also crumbles, so I'll mix a little in. I just contacted some one around here that raises rabbits, now I need a truck. One truck load is broken down, the other is fresh! I think I was made for this.

GrandMomMom

This line is so full of great tips and information! I believe it will transfer well to my Pacific Northwest medium-town environment.

We rent, so it would be foolish to dump a lot of cash into the landlord's property. In the past he has done such things as put weed killer on the lawn. Once we had someone who came by looking for work clean out a neglected flower bed. The next week the landlord had about a yard of root-filled soil mounded on top of it, planted 6 hydrangea bushes about 2 feet apart and told us that we had to water them and make sure that they lived. Fortunately we had a killing frost a couple of years ago & took care of that. About the only good thing that happened there.

On the other hand, it is our environment. The landlord, however, only sees it as his property, and it is hard to argue with that.

This spring I am attempting to remove an ancient rose bush & a growing blackberry vine and replace it with grass. I'd like to go with bush beans & flowers, but who knows what HE would do about that.

I am loving all of these great healthy soil fill ideas for low cash!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I have gardened on a lot of rented property over the years and was almost always able to work it out with LLs with one exception. Just know what the boundaries are and most LLs will work with you so you can get your jones out, as they have a beautified property.

HOA's are a whole nother ball of wax... :roll:

HG

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”