Toil
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Are you sure it's ants chopping down seedlings? Mention felled uneaten seedlings and I think cutworms, though it's a bit early for them to be out and about. Another culprit in *my* garden are rabbits who sample and spit out what they don't like.
they were creepy and fascinating and I watched them do it.

:shock:

they also steal seeds, and do all manner of mischievous things. If you watch a random patch of earth for a while, you will see ants up to all kinds of work.

The poster spoke of them fighting each other, I've watched that. Little red ones vs. big black ones on a log. The size difference was vast, but the reds were doing some serious damage. Big black ones would grab a little red, chomp it, and let it tumble away. But the reds were in vast numbers, like a tidal wave. Like the Romans moving in to Gaul.

they are like creepy little insect fascists.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Toil I hate to say it, but maybe [url=https://www.ct.gov/caes/cwp/view.asp?a=2815&q=376684]carpenters[/url]?

MGT, first of all, hibiscus is whitefly bait. ESPECIALLY when it's all juiced up on liquid nitrogen. Are you feeding chemical fertilizers? And I suspect the ants showed up BECAUSE of the aphids; ready food source from all that honey dew (which is also causing that sooty mold). So first we get rid of the aphids and whiteflies. I think the mix you are trying is fine for a start but always be ready with the next level of control. Your signature line is sweet, but bugs have developed since the good old days and are getting tougher all the time, which is why we don't want them to get accustomed to anything we are using...

toils borax weapons are a great follow up as they do take the poison right into the nest. You can also start messing with the ants by using cinnamon around their entry holes; this breaks the chemical communications they use to tell each other about food sources and such. Think of it as cutting their phonelines. I used this with great success last year both here when the little sugar ants started to find their way indoors, and at Mom's outside around the pool. Stick with it and you can really confuse them enough to where they leave. Those little marching lines disinegrate into chaos...

Keep us informed... :)

HG

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”