Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Does anyone know the standards to be certified organic?

I know what organic means to me and you... but to the commercially organic growers... how organic are they really?

Jbest

Ozark Lady wrote:Does anyone know the standards to be certified organic?

I know what organic means to me and you... but to the commercially organic growers... how organic are they really?
[url]https://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?navid=ORGANIC_CERTIFICATIO[/url]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

True that, Boggy; my seed contacts say this year is burying last years numbers, which was record setting already...

HG

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

During the great depression they grew gardens to survive.
Then war came to the world, and they grew "victory gardens".
I think we all see recession, depression, and are leaning towards gardens of our own...
Then add the war on our food...

The frightening chemicals, that they won't even know the affects of for generations and I just feel safer growing my own food.

And then GMO's and they are not even identified in the store! You could be eating them, every meal, unless you grow your own food. And even then, you must be careful that winds don't drift GMO's into your garden.

My objection to GMO's it could be a jurassic park in the making, it will be many, many years before we know the out come of this.

But, we do know the outcome of eating real food, without chemicals, grown in sunlight, and raised with love.... HEALTH!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

During the war in Britain there was a lot of growing in every available space; rationing was far stricter than here and you really lived on what you could raise...

They still refer to that as the Golden Age of British Agriculture. Organics ruled the day as nitrates went to explosives, and the distance from field to plate shortened from miles to feet. Nutritional studies showed increases in childhood health, especially among lower classes who normally had little access to fresh veg.

Gotta go, Colin McEnroe is featuring my friend Nancy talking about growing food in the backyard on his radio show! Colin Rocks! So do backyard gardens!

HG

Gerrie

My grandparents, who came from Italy, were both decent cooks and ate lots of fresh veggies as far back as my memory goes to the later fifties. My mom, being a first generation American seemed to think the American way was better. I can only remember eating fresh green beans at home occasionally, the rest of our veggies were canned and in later years (the sixties) frozen. As you can imagine I wasn't fond of my mom's cooking compared to my grandparents and fortunately for me we lived downstairs from them so if I had the chance I ate with them. I still cook the way my grandparents did but I have to make more American style stuff for hubby, who I swear must have grown up on ground beef forty-two different ways.

Back to the topic, which is where I meant to be anyway; when growing veggies, I can't even imagine the point of NOT growing them organically. Might as well buy them at the big chain grocery store. :roll: I don't always trust the store food to be organic, either, some of the guys who work where I shop don't know the difference between lettuce and cabbage, how can I trust them to separate organic from the rest?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”