Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Borage is very easy. Sow it once and it will keep seeding itself. You can eat it too - flowers and young leaves, and juice older ones(they are too spiky to eat).

Annemieke

Joyfirst wrote:I trust experience more than science. I believe, that science finds what it is paid for. That's why it still "can't" find a cure for cancer. Cancer is a huge bussiness.
Onions are very good around squash and cucumbers - saves them from the bugs.

People are curious beings and like to investigate. In past science often began with experience. People noticed something and began to collect data about it. Not every human experience is (very well) investigated yet. It takes money to do that.

The only companion planting I currently use is planting parsley and tomatoes together. I sprinkle parsley seeds among the tomatoes while planting them. It works very fine and I have every year wonderfull tomatoes and parsley.

Annemieke

edit: made some mistakes in typing

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Anne makes a good point; we have given science over to scientists, but in the beginning scientist was a moniker you plunked on yourself because you tried experiments yourself. Joseph Priestly started out writing a book about the electrical scientists of the mid eighteenth century and ended up becoming the greatest of them all because he found it so interesting.

So our "science" of the backyard springs from not so humble roots; Gregor Mendel, the father of genetics was a monk with a garden! We need not have PhD's to do great things in the garden. Mrs. Meserve and Polly Hill and Father Fiala among countless others have shown us that those with a love of gardening can make great contributions without a doctorate. Keep experimenting, and if you really want to get scientific, document...

HG

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”