Kisal
Mod Emeritus

No, salt doesn't evaporate. In fact, after enough time it becomes saltier, because some of the water evaporates. Salt has to be removed by distillation or by the use of chemical or electrical methods.
Last edited by Kisal on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrystalClear
Newly Registered

Rain may be the best but here we get less than an inch in a given month so I might have to order some and have it shipped since the clouds that blow over dump somewhere else!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to Helpful Gardener, Everclear.

First I would like to say, there would be no Las Vegas if wasn't for the aquifer.

We get plenty of rain in the winter and almost 0 in the summer.

Eric

Blue Fox

Okay, here's a question about rainwater (which I try and use when I can - three rain barrels and buckets under every drip) - the question is, does it matter what type of roof it's coming off? I have Bob's Superstrong Plastic on the greenhouse, galvanized roofing on the trailer and painted metal roofing on the woodshed.

I seem to remember something about the zinc they use for making galvanized roofing is bad for you and shouldn't be used for drinking water, but what about for plants??

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's something I posted last spring about that:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117078&highlight=roof+water#117078

Summary would be for irrigating water (not drinking) there should be no problem with most roof types.

Indy
Newly Registered

Rainwater is distilled water with a dab of CO2, sulfur, and nitrogen picked up along the way.

Tonythegardener

I try to use tap water all the time. I have gutters on all my sheds and collect rainwater in large barrels. It sometimes runs out in the summer and then I have to resort to tap water.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

A foot of snow will fill alot of 50 gallon drums!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”