gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The fungus among us, my seedling are hurting, Help

I just noticed a few minutes ago I had some of normal fungus you see on starters. They have been in a mini greenhouse with bottom heat. I just sprinkled some cinnamon on them hoping this will take care of the problem. They are still in the seed stage and have not yet sprouted I just planted them on Fri.

I'm not 100% on the cinnamon as a fungicide. Do you just sprinkle it on top, I noticed Rainbowgardener was adding cinnamon sticks to her watering can. I made up a potting mix (not what my seedlings are in now they are peat pellets) with a bunch of powdered cinnamon mixed in. I haven't had any problems with any of that stuff yet. Am I doing this right? Is there anything else I could do to save my little ones?

Help Please
Thanks

Dono
Last edited by gixxerific on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I would try milk.

I use powdered milk and spray my leaves once a week with it mixed really weak.

If you google milk it is used to prevent damping off in seedlings.

soil
Greener Thumb

try some weak chamomile tea, let it cool. dilute 1:1 and lightly foliar spray the plants with effected problems.

top_dollar_bread

yea try chamomile tea, I think AS or rainbow use a chamomile/cinnamon drench as a prevention.

any one (soil) know if fermented chamomile tea would help as well??
I got a nice amount

applestar
Mod

It's Rainbow. She's putting cinnamon stick and chamomile tea bag in the watering can and reported complete success so far.

If you have visible white mold, then I agree the 10% milk should help since that helps with powdery mildew on cucurbits and apple leaves. However,k I'm a bit learly of 10% milk spray indoors since the spray leaves spots everywhere.... But chamomile and cinnamon combo is also supposed to be fungicidal and help.

ACT should work to overcome the mold too, but that's kind of counter to the fungicidals.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, I'm doing well using cinnamon/chamomile tea to water with.

But I don't know what you mean "the normal fungus you see on starters."

If you have any visible fungus or mold, you are doing something wrong.

Are you using peat pots? peat pellets? greenhouse covers? leaving water standing? Watering enough that the soil is soggy?

All of those things create way too much moisture being held and humidity.

Do you have air circulation? Think about getting a little personal fan to move the air around.

The milk treatment is pretty stinky for indoor use and should not be needed if you keep your humidity levels down.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I forgot about milk I don't have any Chamomile tea. These things haven't even sprouted yet.

Yes they are in a humidity dome RG like I said they haven't sprouted yet and they are in peat pellets.

Sorry normal fungus you would see when you use peat pots and have too much moisture. :(

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

since they are not yet sprouted do you suggest removing the lid for a bit. I haven't really watered them just a very light spritzing since I planted them

top_dollar_bread

I'm with rainbow, your humidity may be too high. a small fan is a good idea because it also helps strengthen the stems.
hydrogen peroxide diluted with water should also help

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks everyone I appreciate the advice but THEY HAVE NOT YET SPROUTED.

I'm sorry I should have stated that in my original post, going to change it now. :oops: :oops: I thought I stated that earlier. Forgive me -wall-
Last edited by gixxerific on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Okay, but the pellets are fungused, right?
I would remove the dome... mix the milk at 10% or more.. but less than straight... And I would drench the whole thing... then let it drain, set it under light, or sun... let it dry a bit...

Right, or wrong... that is what I would do. I would not return it to the bottom heat and dome, until it dries out a little bit.

top_dollar_bread

fan is a still a good idea. when I start seeds I just place under my lights and cover the soil with moist news paper. every day I check for sprouts and re moisten the news paper because the fan drys it out really fast. once I get sprouts I remove the paper and let them grow.
I also use the top of a water battle as a humidity dome but the fan is always on. The fan imo keeps humidity in check, witch prevents molds and damping off.
Just my 2 cents

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That's kind of what I figured Ol and everyone, I'm just kinda freaking out here.

Telling myself ---->"Okay calm down Don everything will be okay"
Last edited by gixxerific on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think anyone is freaking out... just sitting around on a snowy day with nothing to do...

But clear consensus of too much humidity and not enough air circulation.

Toil
Greener Thumb

just prop the dome open a bit. and get that fan on.

thanks guys for the tip I'm doing the chamomile and cinnamon stick this year.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I don't think anyone is freaking out... just sitting around on a snowy day with nothing to do...

But clear consensus of too much humidity and not enough air circulation.
I'm the one freaking out. I need to get out of the house. I haven't worked hardly since Dec I'm under a lot of stress. I'm just waiting for the whole seed starting thing to blow up in my face. :(

p.s. I see were you might have misunderstood me I changed the post. Again sorry I'm not thinking clearly.

soil
Greener Thumb

gixx if you don't have chamomile yet. almost any store that sells tea will have chamomile tea bags. they work fine.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Gixx, you are being too hard on yourself.
Spring will come, work will come, and it will all look better.
Hey, keep perspective... it is only one tray... not a million dollar crop here.

I killed over 700 of the 800+ seedlings that I started last year...
I had to keep telling myself... calm down, keep focused, this is a temporary situation... I will get it figured out...

I did, and yet I didn't get it figured out. I went and bought plants!
And so, here we go again... Those seedlings are not winning!

I did finally get some to live, too late in the season... But, boy did I learn some lessons... patience, and alot about seedlings.. and alot of what not to do!

I can tell you 700 ways to kill them... see I did my killing differently each tray!!!

This is how some of us learn... are you one of us... the imperfect ones?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

OL you were right, I'm being to hard on myself, I am stressed out. I need to get outside but it's too dang cold. I am an outdoors-man and will always be one. Being cooped up is driving me more crazy than I already was, that and not working aint helping.

That being said, WE HAVE LIFT OFF! :clap:

Now if I can keep them alive till spring. :shock:

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03314.jpg[/img][/u]

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”