GardenGeek
Cool Member

No signs of bloom on Hydrangea

Hello friends!

Hope you all had a great weekend. Mine was too good :)

I purchased a new/starter hydrangea plant few weeks back. It is getting quite tall and lots of leaves but I see no sign of any blooms......should I cut it back or what am I doing wrong......? Any help would be appreciated.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You don't say where in the world you are gardening, which makes a big difference. Where are you and what is the climate like there right now.

Also tell us a little more about what conditions your hydrangea is growing in (full sun, part sun, etc) and what variety it is. Have you been fertilizing it? With what? How big is the hydrangea? The more info you can give us, the better answer you will get.

But in the meantime, until you give us that info and get a response back

DON"T CUT IT BACK. Lots of hydrangeas bloom on last year's wood. That is the buds that will flower in the spring, were formed last fall. If you cut it back, you cut those off and no flowers this year!

It may just be early yet. It is a lot to expect a shrub to bloom a few weeks after planting. Depending on what size it is, it may not bloom the first year planted. Is it even spring where you are? My garden is under increasing inches of snow right now and nothing is even thinking of blooming!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”