harvester

Wine Grapes

I am curious if anyone out there is growing wine grapes...I am at 4500 feet and have hot summers and 6 weeks of winter that rarely go below zero degrees. Are there any suggestions for a variety that might work in heavy red clay with lots of rocks? ....or a link that might help me out?

syntheticbutterfly
Cool Member

I don't know specific varieties but you may want to research what grapes they grow in the Jumilla region of Spain- the weather conditions you describe sound similar. And the wine they make there is lovely!

webmaster
Site Admin

Jumilla is at around 1500 feet. I did a little research and it seems Argentine grapes grown at around 2000 - 3,600 feet are among the highest elevations in the world.

That said, I found a website about the [url=https://www.coloradowine.com/grape_growing.html]Colorado Wine Industry[/url] that states their wine growing region is within 4-7,000 feet. So that's somewhat encouraging.

syntheticbutterfly
Cool Member

Wow, Jumilla seemed really high up when I went there, I guess its because my village is (according to a website I just looked at) 206 ft.

harvester

Thank you for the replies and links. I'll do my research and in the meantime I welcome any firsthand experience. My preference is to grow for a hearty red. Thanks again!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”