farmerlon
Green Thumb

Yes, for just leaves, I don't think that I would personally recommend that someone invest in a Chipper/Shredder. I think a lawn mower will do that job just fine.
I never use my Chipper for leaves; but, it has been invaluable to Chip all of the tress limbs and branches that fall around my property. And, it's great to Shred up the larger (dried) garden waste, and prunings/cuttings from bushes.

For leaves, I got tired of having to do so much raking. I found one of those "Yard Rakes" that I can pull behind my mower, and that has worked great for me. It's the cheap kind that "sweeps" the leaves/clippings into a basket as you pull it along {not the fancy and expensive engine-powered vacuum style}.
I just mow the leaves into a row, and they get shredded pretty good in the process... I run the Yard Rake down the row to collect the leaves, and then dump them straight into the compost pile.

Relatively cheap and easy... just like me! :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That can be part of it Laura, but it is just part...

Because clay soils can compact to anaerobic levels (no oxygen) it can preclude the presence of enough biology to support plant life. Most plants are extremely reliant on soil biology not just to create enough porosity for roots to develop, but for symbiont relationships with bacteria and fungi that directly feed the plant, and for indirect benefits like weak acid eyching of mineral content cationically locked in the clay soils. Porosity is just the tip of the iceberg...

HG

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”