Hopeful greenie

Vegetable growing

I've just got myself an allotment and am about to embark on my own little organic fruit and veg growing attempt. I know very little but will learn. Unfortunately a fellow gardener, trying to help has just sprayed the whole plot with Roundup! Talk about doomed from the start. My question is what can I do to limit the damage? The whole plot is totally overgrown with bindweed, nettles, thistles etc with no bare earth to speak of, so clearing was going to take some time. Will clearing and burning help? What are the possible effects of the glyphosate? Help!!!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I am not above the occasional use of Round-up myself; sometimes the situation warrants it and it sounds like yours did (Heresy in the Organic Forum! :shock: ). This chemical needs to get on leaves to be taken into the plant and dissappears out of the soil in a few months, so the chance of it ending up in your food supply is minimal. Still, the purchase of a truckload or two of topsoil or compost to top dress the space will 1) increase organic content and the long term fertility of your garden and 2) put those chemicals even further down in the soil profile. We're big fans of raised beds here; that would allow you to dig out some soil in you raised areas and tailor soil for the specific crop. That makes really good sense considering your hesitancy with the chemical situation, and let's you be more specific with placement of soil amending; rather than dumping truckloads you can get one and place it more carefully. It will be more of an initial outlay, but the results are definitely worth it...

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/vegetable/2003/vegetable.html[/url]

Scott

edreid
Newly Registered

I have been having a similar problem, I don't know what chemicals have been used on my allotment plot but I am informed that useage has been extensive. certainly using additional top soil, compost and irigation seems the best solution. I'm am also quite interestd in raised beds.

I have been inspired to grow organic japanese vegetables from looking at the following site www.foundintranslation.co.uk , go to the organic farmer section. its about a japanese organic farmer growing japanese vegetables in a traditional english manner and environment. I wonder if I shall be successful in my attempt. advice and comments very welcome.

e

Grey
Greener Thumb

edreid wrote:I have been having a similar problem, I don't know what chemicals have been used on my allotment plot but I am informed that useage has been extensive. certainly using additional top soil, compost and irigation seems the best solution. I'm am also quite interestd in raised beds.

I have been inspired to grow organic japanese vegetables from looking at the following site www*foundintranslation.co.uk , go to the organic farmer section. its about a japanese organic farmer growing japanese vegetables in a traditional english manner and environment. I wonder if I shall be successful in my attempt. advice and comments very welcome.

e
Interesting web site. I think that farmer is actually in england?

I think what Scott mentioned earlier about adding a few truckloads of clean topsoil will help, and adding organic matter as you have it will help a lot as well. I believe I remember reading somewhere that the environment in which chemicals like RoundUp have been used takes up to three years to recover - for the natural balance to return completely I think it is seven years.

And Scott... How COULD you???? Heresy? Understatement... Fie for shame!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”