roboclover
Newly Registered

Total Beginner to Organic Gardening...where to start?!

Hey all

I've been wanting to start gardening for a really long time...I've just always been fascinated by the concept of growing a plant, having something alive that I've taken care of and produced a result from. I think its important, to have an activity in life that produces a tangible result one can be proud of.

So I really want to try gardening; I want to grow plants. There, I said it. But, ah...where the heck do I start?

I want to grow things I can eat, mostly, or things that just look really cool. Looking around the web I've seen tons of really neat looking flowers and plants but I wouldnt want to grow the same old flowers you see in the supermarket. I'd like to try more exotic things, but...thats for later on a I suppose.

Anyhow, I need some direction guys! What should I grow first, so I can learn the basics of all this? I posted in the organic section because I'd like to do this all organically but...is it more difficult that way? Do I always have to grow outdoors? Is it a ton of work to do it indoors (I live in massachusetts, I think I'd be doing a lot of indoor growing)? Any good beginner projects? I want to have a tea plant, and I'd love to grow cucumbers and lots of other plants I can just pick up and eat. Are either of those terribly difficult to grow?

Any suggestions, any information, tips, anything would be really great and give me something to go on. This seems like a site full of very helpful people and I look forward to any guidance you guys have for me

Thanks in advance!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I posted in the organic section because I'd like to do this all organically but...is it more difficult that way? No, I believe it is much easier to garden organically once you get a few basic principles down. Gardening organically is gardening with Nature, so Nature does the work! You don't have to buy a bunch of chemicals or figure out which ones to buy...

Do I always have to grow outdoors? Is it a ton of work to do it indoors (I live in massachusetts, I think I'd be doing a lot of indoor growing) People grow indoors and out. Outdoors is easier assuming you have a decent spot, because the dirt and sun and everything is already there. Indoors you have to acquire containers, potting soil, ensure enough light, etc. and it gets a bit fussier. To grow much of anything in winter in MA it would be indoors, but more or less April to October ish you could be growing outdoors.

What should I grow first, so I can learn the basics of all this? Some of the classic things to grow if you want to grow something you can eat are tomatoes and peppers. They are pretty easy. The plants are sold all over the place in spring, so you can just buy some plants and pop them in and be off to a good start. I know it isn't real exotic, but I agree that it would help you to get a little experience in first before you worry about exotic. If you really want exotic though you could go to a good nursery and look for heirloom tomato plants and grow purple or orange or yellow tomatoes. I love to grow swiss chard (sort of like spinach). You just put the seeds in the ground in early spring, keep them moist until sprouted and then watch them grow and grow all season.

I don't know anything about tea plant and have sometimes found cucumbers a bit tricky and the plant takes up a lot of space.

Two things to start with -- start your compost pile NOW so you will have some compost in the spring. Single best thing you can do for your garden. If you aren't familiar with it, do some browsing around in our compost forum. And use this winter time while nothing is happening in the garden to learn and plan. Get a good garden book, read in here, figure out what you want to plant and where...

Tater
Cool Member

Soil test first. its the equivalent of having blood work done.Once you know your deficiences you can apply you efforts there. and what was said above tater

GreenThumb07
Newly Registered

Rob - I think your best bet is growing indoors, when you grow indoors you are the controller of mother nature, when you grow outdoors you can not control the temperature, the weather, or the bugs and animals that come and eat your plants. A book that I love and recommed to alot of people is HYDROPONIC BASICS - this book will teach you the basics and the importance of hydroponics from Lighting to pH balancing to making your own system. It is very helpful and I still go back to the book every now and again. It is easy to learn and all you just have to do is get the hang of it. There is a wide variety of things you can grow. If you have any questions please let me know. I also know where you can get alot of your supplies and get a good deal. Wish you the best and let me know if you need anything.

Toil
Greener Thumb

Sorry to pick, but you can't keep out nature. Spider mites, whiteflies, aphids, etc... Will all come in at some point. Not to mention you and the plant are nature.

Easy indoor plants that are really cool - carnivorous plants! They catch their own fertilizer. I like the sundews. You will need special water - you know the "bottled" water at the supermarket that is just filtered tap water? That stuff.

Cukes can be tricky, but they can also be easy. It all comes down to bugs.

Farmer Dave

Its great to hear your starting your first garden :lol:
Organic gardening is the best and easiest way to garden!! Gardening is fun and easy although it can also be a lot of work and will keep you in good shape. I love to garden outdoors but use green houses and cold frames to get an earlier start and to keep my plants growing into the fall. There is a good string of posts on building a simple 1/2 or 3/4 inch bender just above.
I would suggest starting some flats around early to mid February inside your house. Start some easy greens, just put a small flat or flower pot in a window and plant some lettuce and brassicas (brassicas are cabbages, broccoli, etc.)You can be close to them and watch them grow. Use some good compost or potting soil which you can make or buy.
Around the begging to middle of March dig a nice bed outdoors about 3-4 feet wide and 10 feet long and put in some manure or compost or both and then put on a plastic cold frame as described in some of the above posts. If you have lots of gardening energy, then you can dig more beds and do some green housing. If it is your first year you may want to just prepare beds and buy some spring and summer garden starts for some early vegies and flowers and then plant a lot by seed after your last frost date.
If you want great success plant some summer squash and tomatoes as they almost always do well and then plant everything else you like to eat that will grow in your climate. Start your compost pile as soon as possible and think of growing your garden beds and they will just naturally grow your garden vegies. I love to share about gardening it will be great to hear about your new garden.
Keep us posted.

lesgold2002
Newly Registered

Hi roboclover,

Here is an easy but rewarding project. Grow some edible flowers. I planted nasturtiums in a pot. The leaves and flowers can be used in salads etc:. They can be grown in or out of the house and are lovely in bloom. Some varieties vine needing support. Some bush. https://gardnermuseum.org/press_releases/2009/nasturtiums/Nasturtiums_Image_Sheet_2009.pdf

Other edibles are listed here: https://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

Enjoy,

Les

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”