The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Oprah? Please, homey, the day this place helps push three or four million books, Rog will likely get that castle the Princess Niece has been wanting :lol: But we are a LITTLE ways off from that...

Let's settle for a lively discussion on what makes our soil work, m'kay? If some folks can pass that on to the next generation, then I just got redeye gravy all over my biscuits. But let's make biscuits first... :wink:

Any thoughts on how we might promote this book club within the Website?

HG

Toil
Greener Thumb

Well you could just use a sticky. Or make a forum. That way each title is organized, and for latecomers it is easier to catch up. How about one thread per chapter with a sub forum for each title? All but the current chapter would be locked, but in the general forum you could discuss anything. That way the work is manageable for you but the info stays out there.

Club members could put it in their sig?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Toil wrote:Well you could just use a sticky. Or make a forum. That way each title is organized, and for latecomers it is easier to catch up. How about one thread per chapter with a sub forum for each title? All but the current chapter would be locked, but in the general forum you could discuss anything. That way the work is manageable for you but the info stays out there.

Club members could put it in their sig?
That's a great idea, Toil. The forum would be great, but a sticky should at least be made of this thread.

In order to promote the discussion, an announcement of the impending discussion and its location on this site should be made in all forums, or the Vegetable Gardening, Composting, and Tomato Growing forums, at the very least.

I'm sure that the mods will come up with something good.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I just like it better when you guys do all the thinkin. Makes my thinker hurt just thinkin about all that thinkin'.

Hey toil, want to head up the Committee To Do The Thinkin About The Book Club? You can be Chairman For Life Or Until. It doesn't pay squat and the hours stink, but it's for life (or until...), so there's that... :lol:

Seriously, I like your thinking, and G5 is obviously enthused (if perhaps a little too enthusiastically; multiple posting is still frowned upon in general). I like all the ideas some, but agree with the seperate forum idea the most. The idea about putting it in the signatures is also great and sort of viral; that appeals to the marketing guru in me (and we all need a little marketing guru in us, which is how Seth Godin gets lucky! Can I get an amen? Seriosly folks...I'm here all week...please tip your waitresses..when they come by...have you heard that one? A little more cymbal on the punchline, Morty... ....I'm dyin here... :| )

I'll ask Roger.

toil, act like a chair...

HG

Toil
Greener Thumb

Sit on me!

What does a chair do? I'm up for it. Anything complex has to wait until next week. I'm on my iPhone now.

I can put in tons of work sometimes, but when I'm working I am iPhone only. It really varies.

Important: when someone says "I want to get started" they are really saying "where is the book club".

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You could make like a stool!

Oh I gotta million of 'em, folks...wanna hear them all? I'm here all week folks... where else am I going, am I right? Bada-bing! Morty, the cymbal...all week, folks... remember to tip; the bartender asked me for a tip and I told him "Lose that tie!" Badabing! Am I right? All week folks, here all week... :hehe:

We'll talk toil... :wink:

Anxiously awaiting the book...

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Is this the edition you are all talking about[url=https://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microbes-Organic-Gardeners-Revised/dp/1604691131/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264342975&sr=1-2]Teaming With Microbes[/url]? I am interested to join in.

I have read 5 books this winter and always looking for more. I'm reading a great one now about Missouri gardening. It has several websites that are from local places, very useful. I was planning on doing a review when I'm done for the Mo gardeners around here, it is a must read, very helpful.

But this book club idea is a great one and something I would like to partake in. Plus I need to TRY and catch up to some of the upperclassman around here so I'm not so lost when reading the more sophisticated threads.
:oops: :)

Rock on or should I say Book On. :lol:

Toil
Greener Thumb

That's the one! I literally got the idea from oprah. It's a powerful thing to do. Book sales don't lie. People who otherwise don't read, read (like me). And people who already read enjoy it more and set a good vibe.

Check out the club forum, and add the sinature to your profile if you'd like. The more the merrier.

This is radical education. Our forum will therefore be educational rhizosphere.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Toil yes I just found the new section, it took me a while to work my way down there.

I must say, again, I JUST LOVE THIS SITE!! :D The collective minds on here just can NOT be touched anywhere else on the net. Not even close, I'm excited to see how this plays out. Like I said I love to read and have been reading many books lately. I even did a little review on at least one book on here but nobody seemed to notice. This is a great way to get others to read and learn about gardening, and hopefully change some minds about how they garden and more importantly treat our Mother Earth. I have always been conscious to a certain extent but this site has opened me up to whole bunch of new ideas.

YOU GUY'S and GIRLS ROCK :clap:

Dono

Toil
Greener Thumb

Well don't be shy on the new forum, and you will likely get the outcome you envision.

And I second your thoughts.

webmaster
Site Admin

Consolidating discussions. ;) The discussion continues here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21243

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”