ThaiChili
Newly Registered

Is it too late to prep my garden bed?

I really don't know where to begin :? ..I'm a new gardner and tried my hand at veggie gardening last year. 50% successful and the other 50% failed due to poor planning. :oops:
Flower gardening is easy for me but I would like to start a new veggie garden this year and have something to show/eat for all the work that was put in.
Is it too late to prep my 6'x6' area for spring planting? I have some compost that I made, the old garden has not been pulled( dead plants), and we do have some leaves.
Can I just make one big compost pile in the new garden and be ready for the spring?
And last question: when do I start my seeds indoors?
Thank you for any and all the help!

ThaiChili

I forgot to mention: we live in the suburbs of Austin,Tx..This winter we actually are having a colder winter than normal.

joshbuchan

its nerver to late, I would just dig in all the compost u have made, then keep it well broken up and weed free ready for your seedlins.
I can do anything right now as my garden is under a cupple inch's of snow...

u can start the seedlins under a grow light to get them growing sooner but I dnt know when to sorry... still trying to work that one out for myself. if u are useing packets of seeds from shops it ses it on the back with a full growing and harvesting quide.

sombody will be along soon anouth to help you out.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Hi Thai Chilli,
Howdy, neighbor. I live just east of you, and possibly a bit north.
Zone 6b. I will be starting my seedlings for this year about the end of January, and continuing spacing the new seedling starts at about 2 week intervals. My frost free date is mid April, since you are warmer, you should be good to go about the first of April, maybe sooner.
I know that I am starting early, but, I plan to install tunnels and actually warm the garden beds, and get a decent jump on the season. So, I will be transplanting at least a month before the all clear date.
We are also unusually cold this winter. But it is to be 50*F next week, so I am hoping to plant the garlic that sprouted on me, during this snow.
You should catch some decent days, before actual gardening season, in which to work your garden and get it ready for growing.
Will you be using rows or beds?
You could find a nice day and till the soil, add the mulch, wait a few weeks, then till again... and then cover it with black plastic to do a speedy break down and get the garden ready to go.
Each decent day you get, you can get just a bit more done. Since we seldom get snow and you are warmer than us... you should have plenty of days to get ready.
Now is a great time to get a soil test done, and see exactly what you need.
This will guide you on how much more you need to do to get ready.
I have heard that you can make compost in days, if it is small, and you wrap it in plastic. It is 17*f outside today, snow on the ground... but the sun through my window is very warming... same with plastic outside. Solar heating for real!
Just pick your day... start your seedlings, and as they grow... on pretty days get your garden ready.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”