ZeroZero
Newly Registered

Some advice please re varieties

Hi all

I am a passionate gardener who has lived in a flat for 16 years. It was like a prison and I ended up growing runner beanrs up the curtains (yes really).
I am about to get a house and a garden - south facing in herts.

I used to growq everything from mushrooms to bananas, most fruit and veg and a lot of plants.
Now I find myself out of touch I looked through the seed catalogues and according to them everything of theirs is exceptionally good for everything with two cherries on top and two sprinkles for luck.

How do I get rto know what are the best varieties nowadays? I know there are some that cant be beaten - victoria plum comes to mind.

I want to grow fruit and veg and flowers - reliable croppers

My trusty Readers Digest Encyclopedia is well out of date.

Where could I find this objective non marketing hype info please?

Zero :?:

MysticGardener67

Oh bless your heart! I do understand what you have been going through! Since I married, we have lived in nothing but flats and rentals. My heart to yours ZeroZero.

I also understand your dilemma on modern catalogs.

Despite your 19 years of "Flaming Gardener's Hell" Just choose whatever simply strikes your fancy (without bruising it).

I have learned years ago that the 'reliability' of ANY crop is not a factor of the plantstock, but the skills ,instincts and experience of the gardener.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey ZZ,

We all fall into our ruts and find faves that work for us, but our gardens are like fingerprints; no two alike, so what works in one might not work in another. Tried and true heirlooms have stuck around for a long time, so always good bets, but newer varieties are often more disease resistant or pest tolerant, so "reliable croppers" suggests that some of these may be worth a look. I personally find when they start trying to make the plant resist disease instead of setting up a healthy ecosystem around the plant to do it, flavor is one of the first things to take a hit. Plus, as a bloomin Yank, (despite formative years spent in the old country) my gardening experiences on this side of the pond might send you chasing veg that is hard to come by.

A post on the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4]Veg Forum[/url], noting that you are growing in the U.K. (and organically) sounds in order. The groupthink will be of more value to you than individual opining. MG is most correct that a good gardener beats good genetics any old day. Have fun with it...

HG

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Most towns and villages have gardening clubs ZZ.
You'll find they are only too willing to help out with advise and assistance in getting going with varieties and what grows well in your particular area.
If you live in a town try the local library for info......if in a village then the local Parish Magazine will have the numbers to call.
Jona

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”