Tater
Cool Member

Funny conversation

I live in a small town . I have 3 acres of organic vegtables under cultivation. I sell very few vegetables locally but being a small town everyone knows everyone and tries to be congenial.
Was in the local bookstore where I met a local real estate agent. She asks about business. She then asks if my vegetables are anitbiotic-free. I had a hard time finishing the rest of the conversation. sorry I felt it was funny...Tater

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Oh Lord. I'm sitting here, rolling eyes, shaking head, etc. And she was probably trying to sound soooo informed, too... :lol:

I lived in Atlanta for seven years while I was working my way through (and attending!) college. There were two States of Georgia: the one in Atlanta and the other one. At least, that's what folks born and raised there told me.

Antibiotic-free veggies. Hmm...is that anything like the "cholesterol-free" labels I see on vegetable oils in the supermarket? :roll:

Cynthia

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

8) Hi can I get an order of fries no potatoes, and a coke no coke. Go ahead and give me a double cheese burger no meat.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just nod wisely and say "oh yes, I would never use antibiotics on my vegetables." :) everyone will be happy.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

So let me get this right I should stop sprayin antibotics on my garden or what?

Tater
Cool Member

its more a matter of where to stick the needle or have it open it "mouth" to put the pill in I think.

MysticGardener67

Ummm I Gotta be the Virgo in this thread.... There are antibiotics on the market for bacterial issues in fruit trees to counter Fireblight. Streptomyocin. but most people don't know...

"Envriomental consciousness, UR doin it wrong!" LOL

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

MysticGardener67 wrote:Ummm I Gotta be the Virgo in this thread.... There are antibiotics on the market for bacterial issues in fruit trees to counter Fireblight. Streptomyocin. but most people don't know...

"Envriomental consciousness, UR doin it wrong!" LOL

To be quite honest I read something today about antibiotics and veggies.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Gotta go with Gixx and Mystic here; it's a possibility and I see more an more bacterial disease in gzardens all the time. Lilac blight, for instance, once only an issue on big nurseries with tons of lilacs packed together, is now regularly seen in home gardens (had a touch myself last year). Turns out the apple industry has been spraying it on apples as a biological counterculture to scab and some other apple diseases!

So don't be surprised. And with the E. coli outbreak on the spinach, don't be surprised if it DOES get sprayed or rinsed on commercial food crops now (I have no evidence that is the case, just sayin'...)

Best to favor anyone asking questions like that; it means they are coming around, just not yet informed on the details. Think of it as opportunities...

HG

applestar
Mod

Had a thought -- what about antibiotics passing through to be introduced with manure?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Another total possibility...

HG

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”