opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

The smell is negligable if used outside and I would only use the product outside. Not meant for indoor use.

The product is diluted and then watered over plants. And the smell is barely noticeable. I wouldn't use just before having a bunch of guests over for an outdoor picnic but, you barely notice the smell and it is gone within a day.

Use this product at most once a week and you'll be fine. You can also use liquid seaweed which doesn't smell and has a different nutrient profile. I personally use both.

Another alternative is kelp meal, blood meal, rock phosphate and I'm sure their are others. Kelp meal is a slow release organic fertilizer, I don't know much about blood meal (somewhere in the organic section is a list of NPK values for most fertilzers) and rock phosphate is an inorganic (no carbon) environmentally friendly soil ammendment that aids in hardying plants and creates a recalcitrant soil that holds nutrients. Definately recommnded.
I actually use all of the above except the blood meal but, try it as well.

Probably more information than what you were looking for but, hopefully you'll find everything useful. :)

TimCook
Newly Registered

Take fish heads and all uneatable fish scraps, put into a metal pot and cover the fish with water. put over outside gas cooker and bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. As soon as it cools or up to 2 days after cooking, mix 1 part fish mush to 5 parts water. It does not smell bad, but it does not smell like something to eat either. Use this mix immediately in garden and around any plant that needs fertilizer. If you intend on storing it you have to mix 1% phosphoric acid by weight to bring the PH down to 4.5 to stop decay. If you store it without the acid it will explode. With 1% acid it is still Organic. I like to fish and I like to garden. It works Great. I have used this mix on some stunted trees and it work within 2 weeks making the trees put on new growth, unbelievable. It works on Roses as well as anything in the garden. It feeds the micro-organisms and the microbes feed the plants with poop and urine. It is Gods perfect way to grow food. Try it you will like it. My dad use any leftover garden fruit and table scraps to do the same thing and it works very well also. I believe you could boil your grass clippings and get great results. I will try it soon. Feed the soil and it will feed you!!

Timlin

Another very good fertilizer is alfalfa meal. I buy mine in 50 lb bags at the local feed outlet. I put a handful around the base of a plant, scratch it in and stand back...........everything seems to love it.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”