Jake L.

Organic Eggshell Fertilizers

I am collecting eggshells at the moment. I will be making Organic Eggshell Fertilizer but I need some help.

Should I wash eggshells with warm water to kill off possible salmonella disease?

After blending the eggs to make them powdery, should I combine the powder with water, or just sprinkle the powder on the plants?

Thanks,
Jake :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lots of different people with different answers to this. Here's a previous thread with a discussion of use of eggshells:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86576&highlight=eggshells#86576

Jake L.

Thanks a lot, rainbow.

Jake :D

emerald7
Cool Member

Just FYI, I think ground up oyster shells can be used for some of the same purposes as ground up eggshells (adding calcium, making soil alkaline). You can get the ground up oyster shells at pond stores or pet stores online, or from a feed store as 'chicken grit'.

When I went to the beach in South Carolina one time I remember seeing these huge piles of oyster shells sitting outside behind a restaurant... Like 40 feet high. I believe they were selling the used shells for various purposes... I know they use them to make calcium pills, and they're used as a substrate in bird cages too.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I always save every eggshell. I dry them, then oven roast them until they are barely tan. Then I smash them up, by hand.

I do not want them to turn to dust, well not all of them. I then mix them with wood ashes, and use these to put in between young plants to take out slugs. I also use DE but it gets wet and is not good anymore, and with the heavy dew fall here, it gives the slugs a free pass... eggshells do not soften in the dew or rain. I do not add enough to affect the ph. I am sure the plants get some calcium from them, but mostly the plants get relief from slugs munching on them.

I also feed them back to the poultry, and I want them large enough the poultry can pick them up. And roasted so they do not seem the same as a fresh egg. This is so that I am not teaching poultry to be eggeaters.
What good is a hen who lays an egg and then eats it? They are only good for chicken soup! But, since I am not fond of chicken meat, I will eat it, but in small quantities. I raise them for the eggs. And for bug patrol, they will keep fleas and ticks in control really well.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”