FairyDust
Cool Member

peachguy wrote:I Know the little things count and I didn't mean to offend you in anyways I even try to reduce lots of things, all I ment is that it is going to take the people in high postions to get the average person who doesn't think about the affect to just go with the better way. Like a lot of organic things cost a lot of money and people who have low income are going to go with the non-organic .
You ddn't offend me at all and I hope I didn't come off that way either. Sorry if I did. You are right, in order for there to be a bigger impact on our environment these big corporations and bigger name brands really need to step up to the plate. But they won't until they see that the consumers want environmentally friendly options that don't rape the natural environment in the process.

garden_mom

Grey wrote:Consumers have enormous power. If a good number of people stop using RoundUp, that manufacturer will have to look at some kind of organic thing to offer. And if those consumers are already happy with vinegar, I don't know that Roundup will create something better that is still ORGANIC and cheap!

I think things will change for the better, I am glad there are so many environmentally-conscious people out there. And while I am not perfect either, I figure a little goes a long way. I try to use vinegar and baking soda to clean my house with as much as I can, rather than Mr Clean and bleach. Just me not buying a bottle of that stuff once a month and putting that down my drains to go heaven-knows where has to help a little.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Refusing to buy from the biggest offenders even their so-called organic products will have an impact, and in fact HAS had an impact, on our options as consumers and, in turn, the effects on this earth. I'm not exactly a tree-hugger or anything; we own and drive two cars like most families, my kids wouldn't eat all organic if I paid them (I myself am a picky eater), but we try where we can, and I know it makes a difference.

That reminds me, there is a website you can go to, https://www.gocarbonzero.org and it will calculate how many trees you would have to plant to take care of your yearly output of carbon, and once they calculate it, you can send them the money to plant that number of trees for you. (Our family was about 20 trees, I think it averaged about $5 a tree or something like that).
I got that from Vanity Fairs Green Issue May 2006. It was outstanding, I never understood the greenhouse effect like I do after reading that magazine, not to mention who knew that you could be so hip and so green at the same time? :lol: I can't wait until Al Gore's movie comes to my area!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”