SantaFePrax

Safe, non-toxic containers for grains & beans

Hullo folks,
I know this is slighting off-topic, but am trying to find the safest way to store some rice and beans.

By googling have heard that rice can come in with moth worms and infest the whole pantry. Have heard to use non-galvanized steel containers. Just wondered what you all might know about this. Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Not that I have any practical experience with this, but I'm curious -- what kind of volume are we talking about?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I use glass jars with metal lids for some of my grain storage, up to maybe 5 to 8 lb at a time (2 to 4 kg). Others are in re-used pasta-sauce jars (again, glass w/metal lid, but significantly smaller).

I do have two metal canisters. I keep cannellini beans and kidney beans in these, but that's only because I purchased larger amounts of these beans, and the canisters were larger than pasta-sauce jars but smaller than the two enormous glass jars the basmati rice and rolled oats are in.

If you're worried about pre-existing bugs or bug eggs in your grains/beans, I read (maybe in Joy of Cooking?) that freezing them for 3 days will kill all such. Then storing them in clean, air-tight containers will be fine, even at room temperature.

Happy cooking!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

SantaFePrax

Thank you, Cynthia. Glass does sound best. And, from my research so far it is advised to freeze rice for a few days to kill any larvae in it. There were awful descriptions of whole kitchens being infected and folks still being upset years later!

The amount I am talking about is 25 to 50 pounds of each, rice and beans. An old Navajo said this is what he kept against hard times. And they oughta know! Felicia

applestar
Mod

Ah. I was afraid that you were going to say some enormous amounts that would make my response in appropriate. :lol: I also use glass -- large canning jars, cookie jars with rubber gasketed lids. Also stainless steel canisters.

I've often thought that stainless steel milk cans like this would make good storage bins for somewhat larger amounts. As an example, lehmans.com sells them in 1 gal ~ 10 gal sizes -- "Solid stainless steel. Tight lid with tapered fit and hanging holes in rim. Inside is seamless with no corners for bacteria or rust to form." But I'm sure they're available from farm/ag supply type stores.
[img]https://image.lehmans.com/lehmans/Images/products/main/786620.jpg[/img]

I've also heard of freezing to kill bugs. I use the method for suspect wool, but doing it for grain is an excellent idea. I believe you want to freeze for 3~4 days at least, and as much as 1 week.

sweet thunder

I'm a little suspicious of plastic as a storage material, but for drygoods I think it's less likely to leach harmful chemicals into your food. You can probably get a hold of some five or six gallon buckets from restaurants that seal up pretty well.
At the bakery where I work we have loads of large plastic containers with screw-on lids and rubber gaskets that Kalamata olives come in. They aren't coded for recycling, so we just give them away. Maybe you could find something like that near you.

SantaFePrax

Sweet thunder,
What a great name--especially from New Mexico where our love of rain is major!

I agree about the plastic--had gotten a plastic smaller garbage can with wheels but it had that smell from Wal-Mart and Lowe's (it was from Lowe's)--I think it is a peticide, a sweet smell that 15 washes later is still in the clothing from those sellers...I realized I would not be willing to eat anything with that smell or the even usual plastic smell. Neither odors gas out -- ever! They USED to air out...

So, want to thank the person who recommended Lehman's--they had some 6 1/2 gallon stainless steel canisters with a finish inside that is for food products. Now to order the rice and beans! Thank you all!!!

Homesteader

I have done quite a bit of long and short term storage of grains. If you use plastic it really should be food grade. Also if it is going to be for long periods you might consider locating some dry ice which is carbon dioxide. If you drop a piece a little smaller than a bar of soap in the bottom on top of a small amount of grain then fill with grain just sitting the top on but not sealing it yet, let sit for about 20 minutes as it evaporates it will drive off the oxygen which stops the grain from going rancid as well as stops any bug problems that may be in the grain. After 20 minutes or so just seal the lid. Food grade 2-4-5-and-6 gallon buckets may be found for sale online as well as sometimes being able to get them from restaurants and bakeries.
hope this helps. :D

Homesteader

Sorry. I also need to mention that you need to handle dry ice with good insulated gloves.

SantaFePrax

Thank you for the tip on the dry ice! Cool. I had the grocery coop keep the rice in their freezer for about five days--on this list folks suggested 3-4 days. Now I read in Heloise to freeze them for seven days minimum!

But am hoping this will work--tins (steel) from Lehman's, frozen five days. Thanks again, Felicia

Homesteader

You are more than welcome Felicia.
I have done quite a bit of food storage and preserving and still do. If there is anything else I might be of help with let me know.
P.S. I and my girlfriend spent a little time digging Sassafras root today for tea as well as soda, as in pop. lol. We try to harvest as much stuff as we can from the wild to use and supplement our garden. Regards, Homesteader.

SantaFePrax

Hullo Homesteader,
I grew up loving sassafras tea--it was one of my fondest memories of my mother. However, my health food store stopped carrying it and when I was researching how to order it off the web, I ran into explanations of its being connected to cancer and kidney failure. This is most of the link--

https://www.lifescript.com/Health/Alternative-Therapies/Herbs/The_Dangers_Of_Sassafras.aspx?

"one cup of strong sassafras tea is reported to contain as much as 200 mg of safrole, an amount that is four times higher than the amount considered potentially hazardous to humans if consumed regularly," claims Blue Shield.

Now, I loved my sassafras much more than I love Blue Shield...but you might check it out a bit. I like getting your advice, after all!

Homesteader

I have done some pretty extensive research on the subject of Sassafras.
The testing that was done was on lab rats and mice which were fed mega-doses of safrole. The other thing is that the rats have the ability to change the Safrole into the substance that does the damage, human bodies on the other hand do not do this. Many times rulings at the F.D.A are done as much for political purposes as anything else. I don`t know if this was the case or not but there has to my knowledge never been a case of cancer that can be attributed to Sassafras root. Sassafras was used for many, many years by native americans as well as our ancestors as a tonic.
For many years Sassafras root was widely used here and was exported to Europe to be used in tea as well as a flavoring for cold drinks and candies. This was a thriving business for many years without any reports of negative effects. Again the lab studies that were done was on lab rats and mice and they were given extremely high doses for extended periods.
I`m not giving any of this as meaning to convince anyone to use Sassafras, simply to show why we feel that in the small amounts we will actually use it we feel there is no danger.
https://www.aromaconnection.org/regulatory_issues/

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”