opencan

Spinach Seeds Won't Sprout?!

Hi all :D

I've planted a bunch of spinach seeds in a pot of moist soil on the window bars about a month and a half ago and covered it with cling foil to help retaining humidity. Never sprouted and a few days ago was tossed.
I figured it might be something with the temperture.

A week ago I put the seeds in a cup of water to absorb some water and then put them in moist paper towels, again covered.
Still no tap root showing.

I live in middle Israel and in this time its about 20C at night and 32C at noon. Humidity is around 50-70%.

Is it normal with spinach to take this long or my seeds belong to the garbage bin?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Spinach germinates best at soil temperatures between about 10 degrees celcius and 20 degree celcius. The seeds will not germinate at all when temperatures are much above 20 degrees celcius. At the proper temperature the seeds will germinate in a week or two. I'm afraid that your soil temperatures are just way too hot to get spinach to germinate.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

opencan

Oh, I see.
Thanks a lot for the information,If I'll put it in the refrigerator (its around 10C at the outer part) should it sprout?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Some seeds need light to germinate, am not sure about spinnach. Also, spinach will not grow well at much above 25 to perhaps 28 degrees celcius and really prefers temperatures under 25 degrees celsius. Wouldn't hurt to experiment but I wouldn't get too excited about the prospects. Spinnach should really be seeded the the soil temperature is around 10 degrees celsium and when there will be a prolonged period of a couple months when the temperatures generally stay above freezing but the highs stay under 24 or 25 degrees.

Perhaps you should consider some New Zealand spinach which tolerates much warmer temperatures.

opencan

In 2-3 weeks the temperture should drop to about 25-27C at peak. Its the start of Fall now.

I have plenty of seeds, but they are pretty old. I'm ready for a situation in which they will all be dead.
If thats the case I'll just buy a new fresh seeds in a few weeks when the temperture will go under 25C and will try again.
In a week and a half there should be spinach pots at the nureseries as well if needed. Thats what the man in the nursery told me on my last visit.
Thats why I thought they should sprout 2 weeks in advance.

Another question about spinach;
Anyone tried to grow it in hydroponic methods? What is the PH I should maintain if I do so (using flood and drain method with coco and perlite)? Any notes on its fertilizing needs?

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I'm not sure what ratio spinach needs, but if you want to do organic hydroponic growing I'd check out the ACT/AMT thread: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17097 That will take the place of Fertilizers in the water.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”