Rob_ct

Red wriggler worms in Bonsai pots

Perhaps this should be in the bonsai forum...
I use the compost created by my red wrigglers for compost in my bonsai pots. Occasionaly, an earthworm or 2 gets into the mix and they end up in the pot.
From a traditional bonsai point of view, I think the worms are bad in the pot. However, I also know that worms are good for soil, they keep it airated and improve drainage etc. Also, wouldn't the red wrigglers eat any dead root and bring nutrients to places that no longer have nutrients?

This said, is it bad to have red wrigglers in my bonsai pots?

thanks
Rob

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yea Rob' unlike the garden the root profile is shallow enough so poor aeration is not an issue, but lots of tunnels in the soil can dry roots in little time.

Rinse some diatomaceous earth in with a watering (quarter cup in a gallon of water); the worms will leave and it will rinse out easily...

Rob_ct

Cool, thanks a lot. Now I just need to find out where to buy diatomaceous earth.

cheers
Rob

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You should be able to get it at any garden centre or nursery, or you can order it on line. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Diatomaceous earth is just earth that is formed from the depostion of the silica from diatom "shells." It's good stuff.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'll just throw this in here: Diatomaceous earth is also a simple way to help control fleas. The edges of the earth are sharp and apparently cut the fleas.

artie707
Newly Registered

I just found a worm in mine. I think I got them from the moss in added, will the diatomaceous earth kill my moss?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I wouldn't think so.

Grey, how do you use it for flea control. Are you talking about using it to control fleas on your pets?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”