Peeps57
Newly Registered

Stink Bugs and Tomato Horn worm problems

The past 2 years I have had Stink bugs, sometimes called squash bugs that have destroyed my squash plants. Also the dreaded horn worms on my tomato plants. I have searched for an answer to my gardening problems. The only thing I can find is Kaolin Clay. It is also marketed under the name of Surround WP. Does anyone know anything about this? Its suppose to be one of the ingredients in toothpaste and in some makeups. I think orchards use this for the fruit trees to deter ants and worms. You mix 1/4 cup of clay to 1 gallon of water and spray on your plants. It will leave a grey film on the plants and confuse any bug. Any knowledge on this would be so very helpful.

Peeps

GeorgiaGirl

Hmm... kaolin clay should actually be easy to find in nature for you in Mississippi... in fact (random side note) there are people in MS and other regions in the deep South who actually dig up kaolin and EAT it. Supposedly it's soothing to the stomach (it was at one time the primary ingredient in Kaopectate). If you Google your town/county and "kaolin," I bet you could find a local spot that is rich in kaolin. Free way to see if it does repel the squash bugs and horn worms.

Peeps57
Newly Registered

Well, I guess I should have googled it. Too late, I've already purchased a 25lb bag. It should last for several years, unless I give some away to friends who have had the same problems. :cry: I just got so frustrated this year with the hornworms and stink bugs, I just had to do something. I just hope it helps.

Thanks
Peeps

applestar
Mod

Surround is a finely milled product of kaolin clay and their website and some others claim that they're not the same thing at all. They say ordinary kaolin clay can clog sprayers and that the film created is too heavy and block light/smother delicate plants.

I started using Surround this spring for my apple tree. I have to admit I haven't kept up with it as I should have. Part of the problem was that the spray DOES INDEED coat EVERYTHING WHITE! A bit difficult to avoid spraying the neighbor's yard when the apple tree is near the property line.... If the fruit loss to bugs is REALLY bad this year though, I'm going to stick with the regiment next year and see what happens.

I haven't tried using Surround on other crops -- to be truthful, I didn't think of it :oops:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”