a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Will this work? Aerated Compost Tea

I'm trying out making Aerated compost Tea for the first time and I've done some reading to get a god idea of what to do. Now, I don't have any money to put towards making it so I've had to make due with what I've got. I've got a 5 gallon trash can full of water and compost (silly me forgot to put it in a sack, so I'll have to strain it once finished, and forgot to use water without chlorine or flouride) and an aquarium pump. Now, this isn't an air pump, its the kind for filtering the water. It sucks up the water and then waterfalls it back into the tank. I took out the filter, since it's probably 10 years old, and threw in some lava roks as they add oxygen to the water when it runs through them. I've got it runniing in our open garage now, sealed with trash bags since I have no lid for it and it's chrning away.

Am I going to get good ACT or should I start over? It'll be a while before I can buy a pump, but everythign else I can have ready again by tommorrow to start fresh.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Well, I think I'm gonna have to start over anyways, the tube that sucks up water is slowly getting plugged up by the compost. I definatley need to get it in a sack. I also forgot I added some brown sugar to boost the microbes appetite. Is that good or bad?

Will the pump still work? It has a decent flow, and is definately adding oxygen, but is it enough?

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Any thoughts?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

a0c8c, have you checked the aerated manure tea thread yet? We are having many thoughts about ACT there and many a trial and error experiment. In fact, I think I began the thread almost like you began this one. I suspect all the ACT experts don't want to go through the same process all over again; it can be pretty exhausting to explain to a newbie like me :oops:

Why don't you try wading through the jungle of thoughts and then jump in there at the bottom? :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I think the thread in question is the rather detailed and extended one at

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17097&highlight=

Lots of good reading and a few links, too!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”