a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Organic Hydroponics?

I've been thinking of setting up one to see how well they work. I've seen tutorials online on how to make your own, so I don't have to spend some ungodly $500 just to try something(that there as postponed me trying for a long time). But the thing I don't know, and haven't figured out yet is whether or not I can do it organically. Since it uses no dirt, and just spreays or drips nutrients on the roots, it sound like chemical fertilizers are used. That's become a big no no for me, I'v got nice plants outside with no flowers thanks to that stuff. I was wondering if anyone knew of any organic mixes for hydroponics, or if it's possible to use manure or compost tea to feed the plants.

I'm just making a small setup to grow herbs in the kitchen or something like that so needing alot of food isn't important. My friends dad has an AeroGarden growing tomatoes and it's doing the same thing as outdoor tomatoes with MiracleGro, all leaves, few tomatoes.

thebahamiangardener

you can do organic hydroponics. here r some things u can use for fertilizer

Phish Emulsion
Boiled vegetable water ( no salt , just boil things to got to your compost pile together like onionskin's orange rinds and carrots and strain the water and the solids r good for composting the liquids r for fertilizer )
Compost tea ( using tea bagmethod , if not strain properly it can make a gunky mess.)
Beer Manure Fertilizer ( Manure tea pluse one can of beer and a bit of water ) Remember strain the manure tea first

top_dollar_bread

ACT will work!!!, just strain them, you can also foliar feed
fish emulsion, liquid kelp extract, seaweed extract work as well.
just be sure to empty your reservoir after a while.. the microbes organic fertilizers bring with, can go anaerobic after a while and cause problems..
so empty the reservoir and add new water + ingredients, the water you empty out, can be used to feed other plants!!
also there are lots of other organic hydro products available at hydro stores, just be sure ther OMRI certified and you wont have problems

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Cool. I'm gonna make a trip out to my father-inlaw's place and gather some manure, so I'll make some ACT with AMT added and try it out when it's ready. That'll give me a few weeks of brewing to get the hydro system ready. I've seen pictures of herbs grown in hydro systems and they look big and delicious. I'll be throwing herbs into everything and anything. I'll end up like my dad, he puts basil leaves on his sandwichs.

top_dollar_bread

a0c
use compost manure or better yet certified manure
manure can be potentially dangerous to plant, micros and your health..
so compost properly first and never ever add fresh manure to tea's. This will more then likely end bad… manure smells awful, this usually mean anaerobic bacteria are dominant!!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Good tip, I'll stick with just compost then.

johnpradeep

Thanks for this information

johnpradeep

Hydroponics farming method is not only a space saver but also the best water saver. It is proved in many types of research that hydroponics farming method requires only 1/10 amount of water required for the ordinary method of agriculture.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”