stella1751
Greener Thumb

Calcium Amendments

Yeah. I got it. BER in my front squash. I should have seen it coming. These guys need help. I just made a purchase online for goodies to add to my next batch of compost tea. I bought Dolomite Lime, Crab Meal, and Calphos. (I threw in some bat guano because I've been wanting to give that a try.)

It should arrive in a week to ten days. Does anyone else have any suggestions to offer? I saw this coming about a week or two ago. Since then I have treated with Epsom Salts and included fat-free organic milk in my compost tea. The beds all got a good dose of bone meal last fall and this spring, and they are thoroughly composted. I just tried to squeeze too many squash into one small bed. I had no idea the plants got this big. Duh.

I'm embarrassed that this happened. While I am waiting for my cool new purchases to arrive, what can I pick up locally, small townish, for my next batch of tea? I need something quick-releasing and quick dissolving. Any ideas? It might rain tonight, so I could have enough rain water to make a fresh batch in the morning.

applestar
Mod

How about powdered eggshells? Dry in low oven or in the sun, grind in coffee grinder.

Have you tried foliar feeding/treating with your tea? Dilute to umm... I want to say 1/10 strength. I'm a bit brain-fogged because I'm getting ready to eat a very late dinner.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Not a bad idea. I've got some thoroughly expired eggs in my fridge. I don't have a grinder, but somewhere around here I have a mortar and pestel (sp?). I could chuck the yolks and whites onto the compost bin, actually break them right over it.

If no one else comes forward with something I can pick up locally and quickly, I'll give this a try. Thanks, Applestar!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”