hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Until this year we bought our fresh garlic from walmart. Believe me, it has no problem sprouting. Within about three or four weeks of bringing the bulbs home any that remain generally start sprouting.

I did try some walmart cloves in the garden one year. The plants just made the smallest of bulbs and were barely useable. They did about like tulups down south, always making very small cloves that never mature to any real size. I just found out last year that only certain vairieties are suitable for growning in warmer climates. After buying the right varieties, this year gave a bountiful crop of good sized bulbs and cloves.

Here is about 1/10 of the harvest.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3622/3611639636_fa6e7afe10.jpg[/img]
Last edited by hendi_alex on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Alex don't leave us hanging here :( , what are the varieties that you get that do so well so I can tell my wife to get those. :)

I love garlic I put it on about everything, but what the heck do you do with that much garlic? :shock:

Dono

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I made a little over 100 bulbs this year. Keep in mind that the harvest will last many months. We use about 1-2 bulbs per week, there will be some loss to rot, and then I'll need over 100 cloves for next year's crop. Also, friends and family just love getting bulbs of specialty garlic from our garden. Since we most always home cook and never buy ready made foods from the grocery store, we use a good deal more fresh garlic than most families.

This year I planted Morado Gigante, Tuscan, Bogatyr, Asian Tempest, Metechi, Xian*, Purple Glazer, Susanville*, Early Red*, Polish White, Silver Rose*, Silver White and CA early. Next year I'm adding Corsican Red and Simonetti to the crop.

* - These were the most productive varieties for this year, though all but Bogatyr gave a good crop of nicely sized bulbs and cloves.
Bogatyr mostly rotted and only produced a couple of bulbs. Nevertheless will give it another try this year.

I order my stock from thegarlicstore.com but you better hurry as they are beginning to sell out of many varieties.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

cool thanks Alex I will look into those and other varieties.

Dono

wolrdhrmony or anyone else trying to grow garlic must read this https://www.thegarlicstore.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=page&id=5&chapter=0 that is from the garlic stores website very in depth planting and harvesting how to.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”