kodie_seattle
Newly Registered

Time left in this season for Planting Veggies?

I just bought a cool country home, with almost 2 acres, 1/2 of it used for my horse, but I still have lots of space left and was wondering with the amount of time left in this season, what could I still plant that would still come into harvest ?

Interested in Veggies, I live in Clearview, WA - that's close to Seattle, we had a 29 day dry spell, which is not that bad, because in the winter we get plenty of water, more than we know what to do with.

I also have my own creek and an Artesian spring well, so the water is all natural as it can be, no chemicals are introduced, but it is filtered in the water pump house.

So far I have planted 2 sun-flower plants, and that's about it. Where can I read on how to prepare the ground for the garden ? right now in front of the house I have all kinds of shrubs and there is a big lot with grass, wanted to convert some of that grass into a garden. So I guess I have to prepare the soil first.

Thanks!

Ray

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! Congratulations on your cool country house... some of us city mouse gardeners will turn all green with envy (therefore making our thumbs match the rest of us :) ). Sounds very nice.

Re what you can still plant, here's a really nice webpage on what to plant when for fall and winter veggies, with tips about how to extend your growing season

https://www.humeseeds.com/falwint.htm

It was written especially for pacific north west.

Re preparing the ground, there's a ton already written in the forum about that. You might try typing preparing soil into the search box in upper left of most pages... also type in sheet mulching which will give you info about one particular method.

kodie_seattle
Newly Registered

Cool, thanks for replaying, will look into it, Thanks again!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”