merrymary
Newly Registered

Organic Miracle Gro

Can anyone out there tell me if this product truly is Organic? I read conflicting reports that state it does still contain potentially harmful chemicals.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi MM,

Here's the [url=https://whatsinproducts.com/msds/7780_19026152%20MSDS%20Miracle%20Gro%20Organic%20Choice%20Garden%20Soil%20102303.pdf?PHPSESSID=5259]Material Safety Data Sheet[/url] for the product...what the Hey is nuisance dust? No organic seal of approval; they are using non-organic ingredients in their composting, but it is still way better than chemical fertilizer.

webmaster
Site Admin

Is this certified organic? My organic urban gardening friend uses this product, and that makes me feel good about this Scott's product.

But I still have a question. Is, is this labeled organic in the sense that it's made from organic (I.e. not synthetic) material or is it called organic because all the ingredients come from certified organic sources? The ingredients list "Pasteurized Poultry Litter". It doesn't say, "Organic Poultry Litter". Is this material from organic chickens that ate organic feed?

The other issue is the use of Sphagnum Peat Moss. Hey HG, is there a question about this?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Peat moss is a mined substance that is not eassily replicable (I am not talking as long as it takes tree ferns to become oil, but it is not a sustainable, renewable resource). I like coconut coir better...

And WM, my understanding is that the sources for this product are NOT from organic operations, hence the lack of organic certification. Actually, one of their operations for making this stuff is just a few towns away, and I know the brothers Scott's brought the operation from. The local chicken operations around here organic? I think not... [url=https://www.epinions.com/review/Miracle_Gro_Organic_Choice/content_348763688580]check this review[/url]; ESPECIALLY the last few paragraphs...

Better than chemical culture?

Youbetcha! 8)

Look we can start drawing finer and finer degreesand soon we will need to know was that compost, that went on the soybean plants that provided the fertilizer for the alfalfa that fed the cow that made the patty that we composted to grow that tomato, was it made with biodynamic ingredients? I just can't eat THAT tomato if it isn't... :lol:

IMO, organics is the interuption of bad behaviors at whatever level you adapt your lifestyle to... as we find time and again in organic gardening, interrupting a cycle often stops the issue permanently. WM's questions are good ones and I think we all should be asking them. Do I think this particular Scott's product is a real issue? IMO no, and I think WM's friends are doing good things by adopting a better practice for their homestead (I've seen pics and it's grand... :D ) in using this product. Do I think this is a greenwashing move from the biggest peddler of unregulated chemical use in the world? I have another opinion altogether about that :roll:

HG

applestar
Mod

I must say I'm of two minds about this. On one hand, I kind of agree with Whole Foods attitude (or at least what I *understand* to be their policy) -- that they won't sponsor organic-labeled products sold by companies that mostly sell non-organic products. I'm often surprised to see many products labeled "organic" sold in regular grocery stores in their "Natural" section that I've never seen before.

On the other hand, if "organic" products sold in conveniently accessible stores encourage people to purchase and use them more, and less of the toxic substances; if the more people buy them, that much more message is sent to the manufacturers that there IS a market for the organic products, how can I say no?

So am I being hypocritical when I refuse to buy them myself but silently urge others to buy them instead of the other stuff? :roll: :wink:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Careful or Occam's Razor will cut you in half, AS... :lol:

The salient point here is safer products, and if that safer product comes from one of the world's leading polluters (like Scott's; I don't care if someone else applies it, they make the garbage) starts making a safer product, then purchasing it sends a clear message to Scott's. We like THIS product. Start coupling that with NOT buying their other garbage, like Weed 'N' Feed and Miracle Grow, and suddenly the picture is very clear to them. Corporations rarely view things from anywhere other than the bottom line, and we can change their behaviors ONLY by voting with our dollars. I avoid their product line entirely because I do not think that pandering should be rewarded (I DO see what you are saying, AS), but if they are moving the direction we are asking, then we should not belittle them for doing so. Is it perfect? Nope. But think of it as potty training for corporations; if they make in the big boy terlit, lots of clapping and applause and "Attaboys", right? We'll address the fact that they also need to pull up their pants and wash hands and other niceties once we get them started... :lol:

I like to do it myself or shake hands with the person who makes my compost, and so I do... but that takes more effort, and THAT is what it is hardest to get people to do, expend more effort...

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Careful or Occam's Razor will cut you in half, AS... :lol:

The salient point here is safer products, and if that safer product comes from one of the world's leading polluters (like Scott's; I don't care if someone else applies it, they make the garbage) starts making a safer product, then purchasing it sends a clear message to Scott's. We like THIS product. Start coupling that with NOT buying their other garbage, like Weed 'N' Feed and Miracle Grow, and suddenly the picture is very clear to them. Corporations rarely view things from anywhere other than the bottom line, and we can change their behaviors ONLY by voting with our dollars. I avoid their product line entirely because I do not think that pandering should be rewarded (I DO see what you are saying, AS), but if they are moving the direction we are asking, then we should not belittle them for doing so. Is it perfect? Nope. But think of it as potty training for corporations; if they make in the big boy terlit, lots of clapping and applause and "Attaboys", right? We'll address the fact that they also need to pull up their pants and wash hands and other niceties once we get them started... :lol:

I like to do it myself or shake hands with the person who makes my compost, and so I do... but that takes more effort, and THAT is what it is hardest to get people to do, expend more effort...

HG
Wow! what a great post. :D

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”