chakhack
Newly Registered

any idea about square foot gardening

hello guys I saw a video on youtube about square foot gardening

it says one needs
1) peat moss(1/3)
2) vermiculite(1/3)
3) blended manure(1/3)

guys what is your opinion about this will this mixture work well and make the plants growth boosting??

I want to grow tomatoes, raddish , spinach , mint and some flowering
will this really work in india ... please tell me your opinion ..

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I believe that recipe will still need some nutrients added, though compost rich with chicken manure might be adequate. Also, IMO square foot gardening is not dependent upon any particular soil recipe or even the use of raised beds. To me square foot gardening is a way of intensive planting in defined areas. Raised beds or gardens with mulched walk ways definitely lend themselves to square foot gardening. For me the ideas expressed by Mel Bartholomew, fit exactly where all of the other garden how to info belongs. All of the info becomes a resource from which to pull techniques that fit with your own style of gardening.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Actually, if you saw Mel Bartholomew describe his recommended "Mel's Mix," it is

1/3 peat moss by volume
1/3 vermiculite by volume
1/3 compost from mixed sources by volume

"Manure," esp. if not fully composted, will not provide a healthful growing medium for plants. Uncomposted manure (we've had lots of threads on it in our Compost Forum here at THG) contains weed seeds and pathogens which need time & composting temps and organisms to neutralize/decompose.

Because you're working in India, you might look into Mel's "Square Meter Gardening"--info at [url=https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Square-Foot-Gardening/dp/1591862027/?tag=thehelpfulgar-20]https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Square-Foot-Gardening/dp/1591862027/[/url] . His methods have been used in many countries over the years (he started in 1981). If you see his latest book, he recommends a depth of only 6 inches (15 cm) of planting medium. However, my own experience last season indicates that 10 to 12 inches (25 to 30 cm) of depth is more useful to the plants, esp. tomatoes and other heat-loving vegetables.

Mel also recommends, in areas of the world where peat moss and vermiculite are either unavailable or extremely costly, that finished compost be used. He recommends "mixed sources" of compost to ensure that a variety of nutrients and soil-enriching organisms are invited into your planting medium.

Be sure to read the book if you can find a copy. There is much more detail about planting intervals (both in time and in space) than can be provided here.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

(I'm using SFG for the second season; be sure to search this forum for "Square Foot Gardening" to see previous discussions.)

tessmick
Newly Registered

Hello Chakhack!

I had to post to this. I am doing a square foot garden for the first time this year. Things are doing very well so far! How are your's?

I tried to go for the mix Mel suggests, 1/3 each peat moss, compost & vermiculite, but didn't fully succeed! I bought the peat moss no problem. I had some ready compost in my bin, but supplemented with purchased organic product too. And I was simply unable to find the vermiculite, and didn't have time to wait for it to come ordered online. So I did further research and was advised to use finely grated top soil in it's place. I did use some top soil, and also added perlite which I was able to find. I later learned perlite is a man-made product, vs. vermiculite which is natural...I think that's right. I hope I haven't screwed it up!

Anyway, I have asparagus crowns growing very well in this mix. My potatoes have sprouted, too. The transplants of tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers & radishes are doing very well. And all my seeds are sprouted and/or higher: several squashes, carrots, kale, bush beans, bok choi, onions, romaine & spinach.

Hoping & praying for a good harvest! I hope your's are doing well, too!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”