applestar
Mod

Relief troops are on the way!

:clap:
‣ At least 3 centipedes patrolling the Veg Garden -- they eat slug eggs
‣ Ladybug larvae on one or more leaves along almost every apple tree branch (I was relieved since I've been seeing a fair amount of ant activity, which of course means aphids) -- now I'm not sure if I should spray the Surround...
‣ Cardinal that I mentioned before picking off a green caterpillar near the New Kitchen Garden.
‣ House wrens calling from every direction
‣ Hover flies, robber flies, and tachid flies spotted around the garden
- 4 praying mantis egg cases waiting to hatch

!!GO TROOPS!! :wink:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hoo-yah! :D

Cynthia

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nicely said AS!

I have seen a few reinforcements, but have not made the detailed assessment you have. :wink: I have rounded up the toads from the front perennial border and moved them to veggie patrol, and the wife brought me a pretty freshly minted robber fly with a "What's this thing?" yesterday. This morning the robins patrolled the paths in the garden, and the titmice bounced around 10 feet from where I planted spinach. We have chosen our co-species as much as they have chosen us; while living next to humans has given some creatures, like cats and dogs, an inate special advantage, man's ability to adapt the environment selected species with that singular ability to put up with whatever we threw at them.

But if we instead reduce the damage we do to natural systems through our myopic hubris, and work with them, instead of offing biology with a callousness reminiscent of trench warfare and mustard gas, then we start to move toward a place that values the contributions of all species, from the least to the most among us. A pretty smart guy who saw the Universe as clearly as anyone else in history said this...

[quote]“A human being is a part of a whole, called by us “universeâ€

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

oK, I have long enjoyed birds. We have feeders everywhere. On a normal day we see cardinals, finches titmouse, nuthatches, robins, mockingbirds, bluejays, mourning doves, grackles, thrashers cowbirds chickadees and many others. My apologies to those I've overlooked. We have all these in huge numbers. We provide feeders and clean bird baths.

I've never had bird damage in the garden even though most of those mentioned above seem to love feeding off the ground in the garden. They really go nuts when the sprinklers are sprinkling. Could someone tell me a little about how they benefit the garden ? Even though I KNOW that squirrels are Satan, I have great affection for my birds. It's wonderful yo know they help in the garden in addition to keeping me entertained, which is very important. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

When those little fellers are hoovering the ground they are taking ground insects as well as the seeds we expect them to. The little seed eaters also scratch and scrape and much like chickens take a bite out of weeding with all that peckin'. Ground thrushes like robins are particularly adapted to human habitation as we provide them with the open areas they love to hunt insects in, and they do a wonderful job.

At our feeders we select by the foods we choose. When I was little, a cardinal was a rare treat. As America learned to feed black oil sunflower, we actually changed the range of this bird, not much seen above Maryland/Delaware in the 40's to mobs of them today. The same can be said for niger seed and goldfinches; I was in my teens before I saw one, now I see eight at the thistle bag with two hovering around... Mom saw an oriole at her new orange feeder today, and hummingbirds are more plentiful than ever now that so many folk feed them. We can help nature thrive.

We humans can support nature in amazing ways, and it invariably returns the favor. The fish eagles that were almost wiped out by DDT on the Lower Connecticut in the 60's are now drawing tourists to a festival celebrating them today. I hear examples like that all over the country as we finally begin to truly value our connections to nature. Yet we threaten bee populations despite the fact that they are responsible for about a third of the food we eat. We "control" and dam rivers, throttling the last life out it as we destroy the fish stocks that made it so vital. We are capricious in our choices of who lives and who dies and IMHO, we often get it wrong. Scarlet tanagers have become a rarity in much of the Northeast, both from the wholesale destruction of orchard owners shooting thousands in the early years of our country, and the loss of the deep wood habitat they love as we spread out. Fruit eating birds are not a good fit with our human system, and we dispose of the unwanted pest without any real knowledge of what that might do to the rest of the food web that tanager was in... it is still around I hear, but I haven't seen one in years. Not enough deep forest around here...

So please be gentle with your planet; it will return gentleness, or any other behaviors we show it. It is a system I have come to appreciate for its' complexity of function and simplicity of purpose:everything is linked to everything else, and all averything wants to do is come to a happy balance and live. We humans could learn a valuable lesson here; just try to be part of everything... :)

HG

webmaster
Site Admin

Check out the garden at night. If there's a healthy ecosystem in your yard there's going to be a lot of critters crawling around you don't see in the daytime. I really need to take a camera out there sometime in Connecticut to capture on film the remarkable looking beetles chugging along doing their thing.

Out here in the Bay Area I let the spiders do their thing although last fall it unnerved a couple of the neighbors when they saw a huge spider the size of a quarter hanging from our balcony, :lol:. But the way I see it these critters are eating the bad guys, they're on my side. Cool to see a possum now and then, too.

applestar
Mod

Most baby birds are insectivores, so even seed-eating Mommy and Daddy birds feed their screaming -- sorry -- chirping babies with bugs from your garden. :D

Chickadees, Titmice, and Nuthatches that come to my feeder all winter long switch to picking bugs off the plum trees they used as sunflower-cracking perches. At bud-break, I see them inspecting every branch, and when the aphids explode, they, along with finches are all over the leaves. :D :D

I love watching the wren -- busily inspecting every nook and cranny -- between fence boards, under patio furniture.... I know they like to eat spiders, but I have plenty, and they're also finding moth cocoons -- hopefully tent caterpillar ones. :D :D :D

OK -- I gotta go hunt some more slugs. HG, can you ship me a box of those toads? :wink:

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

so what bird, aside from ducks, will eat up all my slugs?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Chickens, although they tear up about everything else doing it. A typical colonial field clearing cut the lumber, ran hogs to root out boulders and stumps, and than ran chickens to peck off the weeds. Watched the staff at my local G.C. (Hello Salem Herb Farm!) feed pinched flowers to the chickens yesterday, and after seeing that I DO NOT want chickens in my garden..

HG

applestar
Mod

This morning, I didn't find many slugs -- only 38 -- but found new mole holes around the garden... 8)

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/biosi/staffinfo/wocs2.html
Birds are the most important of the larger predators. The long list of species known to eat slugs includes blackbirds and thrushes, robins, starlings, rooks and crows, jays, ducks, seagulls and even owls! Song thrushes are well known for snail eating. If you find a stone or paving slab with a scattering of broken snail shells around it, you know that either a song thrush or a redwing has been at work. The stone is used as an anvil to break the shell. These birds frequently eat slugs in even greater quantity, but there are no tell-tale remains to prove it.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”