annafaie
Cool Member

Cabbage Worms on Brussel Sprouts

I need some advice. I've read of few of the past posts on this subject but I had a specific question to ask. Here's the history....

Started seeing holes in my brussel sprout leaves. Couldn't find or see any pests. Knew somethign was after them but wanted to ID pest before I treated. Went out of town and came home to a few desimated brussel sprout plants...holes everywhere, entire leaves gone. Just checked today and positively ID'd the pests as Cabbageworms (not cabbage lopers)...for 100% sure.

Here are the questions:

1. Can I save the plants by simply picking the worms off daily or are they beyond help?

2. Can I spray anything organic to rid them of the pests now and then use the pantyhose idea one poster gave a while back? Idea was to put a knee high over the plant and the eggs won't get laid on your plants and the pantyhose expand as the plant grows.

3. Will the brussels I get as harvest be edible since these pests have done their damage?

Thanks for the help! Anna

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

picking worms off daily works for me. as long as you don't have a huge number of plants, that's what I'd suggest.

pharmerphil

they should recover. We do over a hundred cole crops a year, and I hand pick them all, if they get out of hand I use Bt.
Self rising flower, sprinkled on the plants will kill the smaller worms too.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

PP, what is the killing agent in the self-rising flour? I love it when I can use kitchen ingredients as pesticide and fertilizer (I love how molasses stimulates soil bacteria; you can watch grass green up in a good organic system by kicking the bacterial side in the pants...)

HG

pharmerphil

simply put, they take a nibble, and expand to destructive dimensions :lol: :lol:
I have to say though the larger ones it doesn't seem to effect
so apply when you see the white butterflies around your plants.
We use molasses's as an activator in the compost pile and tumbler...and the compost/manure tea generator

I like the kitchen solutions too, beats the store, and usually you have it when you need it...like Milk, 1%-2%-whole or even powdered...does a Bang Up job on disease, fungus and mildew

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Phil, you and I are gonna get along like peas and carrots... :D

Glad to have you here... 8)

HG

applestar
Mod

This is the recipe I have for self-rising flour. Will it work as well?
Ingredients
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt

Also, I don't stock white flour. Can I use whole grain?

rdrzzbrry
Newly Registered

having a problem with those little green worms eating all of new leaves on my brussell sprouts but they have not gotten to my cabbages and trying to keep it that way

most of my family is gluten intolerant so I don't carry self-rising flour in my pantry what else could I use besides picking them off every day.

I spray all of my plants with soap water two times a week to keep most pests off. it doesnt harm the plant but keeps most pests off

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”