soearth!

how do I kill an invasive wandering jew plant organically?

Hi,

I have an invasive wandering jew plant growing on the plot of land that I would like to make into an organic vegetable and herb garden. What is a safe, organic way to kill this plant so I can start my vegetable and herb garden?

Thank you! :D
Ryan

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I did a bit of online research and it appears to me that most give two basic choices at control. One is mechanical, pull up the weeds, being very careful to harvest even the smallest pieces which will re-grow. The second is to use sprays. Here are some alternatives that you may wish to consider.

If you have access to a tractor or tiller, then you can first pull as much of the weed as is possible from the site, then plow the rest under. Wait a couple of weeks until the small fragments begin to re-grow, then plow the area under a second time. Wait one more period, giving the small fragments yet another chance to grow, and then plow under one more time. Each time these fragments try to regrow, it takes a store of their energy. Each time they get plowed under, there is that much greater chance that they will not be able to sprout back to the surface, and many will simply die. After the third tilling, IMO there is a good chance that any remainining sprouts will be manageable by hand pulling/weeding.

Another alternative, if you have time to wait, is to place a black plastic tarp over the spot for several weeks. The black will absorb enough heat to cook the plants, plus the plants will be starved from lack of sunlight and moisture. If your area is relatively small, then you may prefer to simply hand pull all of the weeds and turn the soil. To prevent further encroachment buy some heavy mil 3 foot wide black plastic and create a border around your planting area. Cover with pinestraw, hay, or other mulch to make the border more attractive and to protect the plastic from deteriation. That skirt will act as a barrier to keep the wondering jew from creeping back into your gardening area.

Hope some of these ideas help.

Alex

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”