DAnderson

Free Starbucks Coffee Grounds

I live out in the boondocks, 20 miles from the nearest Starbucks, but need to drive to Dallas tomorrow & Tuesday. I've made a list of all the Starbucks along my route & plan on trying to get a pickup load of coffee grounds as I pass these stores. Should I call them first? Take empty buckets with me? What is the best time of day to collect the grounds from the stores? Any hints on dealing with Starbucks?

susan
Newly Registered

Great idea! To save yourself time I would definitely call them and see what their policy is on the grounds and what time would be convenient for them. And yes, I would take containers of some sort - 5 gal. buckets or even heavy duty trash bags or whatever you have.

Happy composting!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You should definately bring empty buckets with you and calling first wouldn't hurt. Great Idea! I get coffee grounds from a local coffee shop. They have barrels of them!

DAnderson

Wow, I really had a good experience with Starbucks the past two days. I called each store before I went in and asked about their policy with the coffee grounds. Each employee I spoke to was very nice and told me to come on in and get them. The stores in this area bag their used coffee grounds up in small organic bags (labeled used coffee grounds) & place them in a bucket in the front of the store. Anyone can walk in and just pick up whatever is in the bucket. These bags can hold approx 10 lbs of coffee grounds (wet) and don't leak. Very nice employees & very nice "trash" bags. I drive a pickup truck & just threw these bags into the pickup bed, so didn't take buckets with me. I was able to get about 15 of these bags over the two day period & none of them leaked. I'm happy & will do this again next time I have to go to the city. Starbuck's is doing this right!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi D, I'm glad you had a good experience. Cofee grounds are great for the garden. They are a green though, so be sure to put some mulched up leaves with them.

faithful4ever

silly question, what are the benefits of using coffee grounds in your garden I have a container garden and a small ground garden with bush beans and some melons. thanks

easygoing
Newly Registered

I used to work for a manufacturer of Maxwell house here in Aus my garden which was total clay was enhanced to a realy productive area by adding tons free grouts wish I still had a free supply since I retired and they now import m/house from CHINA Tastes Terrible .
Alan in Aus

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”