momo
Cool Member

Mealybug infestation

I planted my winter crops last month and I have a mealybug infestation on my kale. The gardening handbook that I have says to wash them off with a spray of water, which I have been doing daily but they keep coming back. I tried spraying with garlic water but it didn't faze them. I don't want to resort to pesticides. Does anyone have any idea of how to get rid of these bugs?

Rosie51

I'm not positive what you mean by mealybug, but do you mean aphids?

Insecticidal Soap can get those critters. I'm trying to remember how I made mine, I think it was about a Tablespoon of Murphy's Oil to 1 pint or quart of water but I can't remember the exact recipe. The thing is, it won't hurt the Kale but will get the aphids.

I'm sure someone here knows the exact recipe.

NewjerseyTea

Hi momo,
If you do have mealy bugs, small white cottony puffs, and are willing to try a rather labor intensive remedy, dip a Q tip into rubbing alcohol and gently touch each bug (avoid getting the alcohol on the plants). This is the the method I used on a large Hydrangea and with persistence it worked (reapplication to all new bugs). Clearly this is too time consuming if you have a large crop.

I have never had mealy bugs on my small patch of kale but do find it very susceptible to aphids as Rosie mentioned and whitefly.

DaddyChad
Newly Registered

You might try a predatory insect for mealy bugs also. One quick point I know some people who have ordered these predator insects but didnt set up an environment for them and the insects promptily moved on. I think there is a type of beetle that is sold on the net that is a mealy bug predator. These insects like ladybugs, mantids, and lacewings all have certain plants that they seem to be attracted to. Best of luck.

https://www.goodbugs.org.au/natenemieslist.htm

Here is a link with some of the predatory insects of certain garden pests listed.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”