Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Very interesting article about onions

imafan26
Mod

This is an interesting history of the sweet onion. Parts of it I already knew, but not the whole story. Maui and Vidalia onions are basically the Texas grano seeds. What makes them different is not just the seeds but the climate and soil. Vidalia onions can only be called authentic Vidalia if they grown in that county of Georgia. It includes varieties of of Granex heritage including Yellow Granex. We can grow Maui onions anywhere, but the sweetest onions are grown in upcountry Maui because of the soil and the weather.

I knew the Texas Grannex was a sweet onion seed that was further developed in Spain and the Spanish seeds were reintroduced to the U.S. as the Texas Grano variety.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Years ago and after I had grown onions from sets for some time and wasn't especially satisfied, I wanted to try seed. Somehow, I learned about Vidalia onion way over here in the opposite corner of the country. I learned that I could buy Granex seed but it could not be called Vidalia. I decided to try it.

That's how I learned about day-length and bulbing! I'm not sure if I had any Granex larger than a golf ball.Yes, they bulbed but it was way too early.

imafan26
Mod

I had that same experience but not with sets. I did not even understand what a long or short day meant until I went to my friends graduation in Seattle. Having the sun set at 11 pm and the light coming through the window at 3 a.m. was an aha! moment.

I tried to grow elephant garlic from a bulb I got from the store. It grew, but the result was smaller than what I started with. They also sell Walla Walla onion seeds on the seed racks at the stores and those are long day onions so they never even became green onions.

It took a while longer and discovering Dixondale's tutorial to finally get it that I have a short day (actually my annual day only varies by about 2 hours). No one will send bulbs to Hawaii. The sets the big box stores bring in are the wrong kind.
I found out Texas Grano and Maui onion were indeed the same seeds.

I also found out that I need to grow seeds in the fall as early as September even when it is still hot because I needed the shorter days and cooler nights, plus more nitrogen to maximize the top growth. It does not die back here. I have to increase the phosphorus and potassium when my daylight hours approach 12 hours. It takes about 5 months from seed to harvest.

May is still wet and humid for harvesting onions. Temperatures are 85 and rising. Onions have to be dried in the shade and it will only be sweet for a couple of weeks. It takes up so much time and space in the garden and does not keep well, so it is actually something I rarely grow anymore because it is cheaper to buy it.

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”