wisconsindead

Onions Flowering - Impact on curing/long term storage

Could anyone tell me if onions flowering/blooming impacts the long term storage of onions? Some of my onions that I harvested began to send out flowers/blooms during curing. I also have another batch of onions that are about ready and some are sending out blooms.

Does this impact the length of storage?

Should I remove the flowers/flowering stalk?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I'm pretty sure onions that send up a central seed/flower stalk do not last as long in storage. I've read that cutting off the stalk when it first appears doesn't really help; by then it's too late, so use those first. Even so, when this happen to me, I cut off the stalk.

Also, in my experience, onions that have been in storage a long time and begin to send out new greens need to be used pretty fast since they are beginning to use up their big leaf bulb for the new growth.

But, you might want to double check this info.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

We've cooked with onions that had already put up seed stalks. They were perfectly good aside from the hard stem in the centre. Today I harvested a very big (14oz) Walla Walla that had actually gone all the way and made seed. It will be interesting to see how useful it is in the kitchen.
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”