Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Growing onions in 3 gallon pots.

I am planting winter onions in 3 gallon pots, 7 seeds per pot, 8 pots = 56 onions. Seeds should be planted in fall 2 months before first frost. If I plant now I need to keep plants warm to get them to grow. I have 32 house windows I can build a temporary hot room over the pots. Typical day time temperatures has been 54 degrees most of the time. I made experiment box Sun has been heating a 32"x36"x32" box made from 5 windows to 70 degrees F some days. I wonder if this will work for onion seed to grow 70 most days then 25 degrees at night this is extreme temperature change?
Attachments
100_2241.JPG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Onions do quite well in cool weather. I think you will do fine if they get to 70 daytime.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My 60 year old windows are falling apart. Most of the caulking has fallen out and several sheets of glass have fallen out. I took all my windows in the shop to dry it has been raining here for a month. After 3 days of work I put in glass & caulking & paint. Wood is not dry as it appears it is wet down deep it make take a while for these to dry in high humidity TN weather.

Someone on CL had 20 windows $100 I bought them all they are larger & better than windows I already have. Soon as I find 20 more windows for sale I will have a real green house.

I have 500 yellow onion seeds I planted 6 more pots of onion seed. I decides to have about 25 seeds per pot as onions grow we can put the small ones to eat leaving 7 onions in each pot to grow into large onions. I have not seed not sure where to plant them.
Attachments
100_2253.JPG
100_2252.JPG

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”