Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Onions Greens Bending Over

Last year I had great success growing Candy onions for the first time. This year, there seems to be something strange going on, namely, the greens of almost all the onion plants are seeming to bend over.

They seem to be growing well and are still putting out more greens, but why the bending over phenomenon?

I honestly can't remember if last year's crop did this or not, but seems like I'm remembering them being more upright. (they're not anywhere near to bulbing up by the way, but I wouldn't expect that yet)
candy phenom.JPG
Two things different this year only:
1. Planted them much earlier as per the instructions on the Dixondale Farms site. ( 4-6 wks. before last frost) Last year set plants out much later.

2. DF also recommends sprinkling a little Ammonium Sulfate around plants to make big healthy greens every 2-3 wks. Am doing that. Last year did not.

Watering about the same as last year. Anyone have this experience with onions? Maybe it's totally normal, don't know. Hope it doesn't affect the crop.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Don't worry about the tipping over tops. They will do fine.

bri80

I agree not to worry about it. Some degree of it is natural, I think. Some factors that could be contributing to it happening more to you this year (speculating): 1) They're larger? Due to being out sooner/new soil amendment, plant grew larger and that makes it harder to stay upright? 2) Might need more water? Even if you're watering "about the same as last year" conditions could require you to water more this year. Lack of water at any point can cause the plant to have trouble staying upright, and once it bends, it stays bent.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Yes, I was thinking about that too; the fertilizer caused a too fast growth spurt and maybe the tall leaves can't support themselves. (sort of the gangly teenager syndrome) :) (apologies to all gangly teenagers out there) :)

I had such great success last year with getting huge Candy onions; I should have just done everything exactly the same. (planting too late; using no fertilizer) Why mess with a good thing!?

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”