Gary350
Super Green Thumb

26 onions, wash or dry naturally?

I harvested 1 of 3 onion crops this morning. I can not remember if I should wash them or just let them dry in the sun? I seem to recall my grandfather use to let them dry all day in the sun them put them all in the cellar.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

No expert by any means, but here's what I've done with lots of success. I'll brush off any big dirt clogs attached to the onions, but I don't really try to clean them up to much. I'll lay them out in a shady spot in the yard for the rest of the day if it is nice and dry that day. I then bring them in doors, and place them in a single layer on my elevated drying rack (an old baby gate). About a week and a half later, the necks have completely withered and the greens are a dry brown. Then I remove the greens and brush off any surface dirt that comes off easily. I end up with this:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would not wash them. Pull them and let them dry then just snip the tops and brush off the roots and bag them. They need to be put in a mesh bag and hung up in the garage or basement so they will stay dry.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

What they have already said. I like to put mine under my 2nd story porch where I put a couple saw horses and a heavy open metal grate I use to load stuff in my pickup truck. After they are dried, snipped and brushed off I put them in my man cave in an area where they get air circulation. Last thing you want to do is put them in an enclosed box or storage bin.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

my tendency: leave dirty, dry in the shade, in a single layer for a few days/a week, then bag up and hang.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Nice onions!

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”