Toxic1979

Onion Seedlings

So I have taken the advice of a few members, and plant some onion seeds to grow, along with my onion sets.

I've attached a picture of them so far. Do they look normal?

I've noticed that they grow a little differently than the rest of my plants. They almost see to grow, folded over, and emerge a few days later. Maybe I just planted them too deep? Maybe its normal?
Attachments
IMG_5183.JPG
IMG_5181.JPG

applestar
Mod

Nope. Completely normal. They are fun to grow. When they unfold, they start growing roots as deep as they are tall and even longer, so they need the soil depth/room to accommodate. Their roots can get brittle, and shallow containers force the roots to grow sideways and tangle up. 4-6 inch deep containers are better.

The dried up tip may indicate they are having problems in the shallow containers... Maybe getting dried out. Although in and of itself, shortened tip is not an issue -- because these hollow leaves can get floppy and unmanageable, most people will trim them down as many as two or three times before planting. Some say this is better because it forces the seedling to grow multiple leaves and onion layers are basically bottom of those leaves.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

You were so smart to plant only a few to a cup! I typically start my onions from seed, but this year I cheated and bought seedlings. Well, they cram a gazillion seeds into six-packs, so when they emerge and grow, its a tightly bunched family, which I feel obligated to tease apart. Probably better for the seedlings if I don't, but I just want to get as many as I can, being a tight wad. Ugh. Better to just grow them myself from seed!

Peter1142
Green Thumb

The dried up tip is normal on the cotyledons.

Where are you located? It is probably too late to be starting onion from seed (at least for bulbs -- you can still get great scallions.)

I did 40+ plants to a 2 quart tub and that worked out fine. They are separated for planting.

Toxic1979

I'm located in North Eastern Canada. A few members indicated that I may be able to start from seed, and get onions. I've only ever seen the locals here start them from sets and get onion bulbs.

I have both, but I figured I would give it a try and see what happens. The area I'm planting these (as a trial) is a raised bed, with a plastic hoop house covering.

The sets I will plant directly.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I have some onion seedlings that I planted that are a little further along than these. Was curious, if I decided I wanted to trim back the leaves, how much length should be trimmed off? One half, 3 fourths, or more?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Here in this high dry climate to get a bulb onion we plant sets. For scallions we plant seed. If let to go full season onions from seed here will make about a 3/4 inch bulb.

Your onions are looking great!

Toxic1979

Taiji wrote:I have some onion seedlings that I planted that are a little further along than these. Was curious, if I decided I wanted to trim back the leaves, how much length should be trimmed off? One half, 3 fourths, or more?
I'm actually wondering the same thing. Mine are starting to grow fairly tall. Right now they are about 6 inches on average. Some are longer. Can I trim them back to about 3 inch?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I actually went ahead and trimmed about half of my onion seedlings back to about half their height just as an experiment. I'll see at harvest time if it made any difference in comparison to the ones I left alone!

Toxic1979

I also trimmed mine a few times now. I swear I can trim a few of them and that same evening they seem to be near the same height again. I am noticing that they are getting thicker since I started. Not sure if this is coincidence, or if its due tot he trimming?

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”