Orwa farmer
Newly Registered

Onion sets pushed up into mounds

Strange things are happening with my onion sets. I planted nice straight rows leaving just a little showing. I come back the next day and find several sets have been pushed up, rotated and the (unsprouted) tops pulled into the ground. I'll replant until the set take root which can be two weeks. Netting covers the bed and there are no animal tracks. We have large worm but that seems really odd they would be able to manipulate them. Anyone have some insight as to what's going on?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Weird. I noticed some of my onion sets were pushed up, I wonder if worms do mess with them?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Where do you live? Gophers? Here a person can sometimes see plants disappear underground before one's very eyes! Maybe they don't like onions and were just checking them out?!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I would think some pest is doing this, gopher maybe.
I know that overtime seeds will rotate and move a couple mm around in the soil, but I don't think that's your case :|

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Yes, worms do pull the dead top part of the leaves into their tunnels in the ground. Some people get around it by trimming the dead part off the top of the onion plant/set.

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”