friedokrie
Newly Registered

My first crack at growing onions

my first attempt at growing onions. I put them out last week, 2/18. Looks like great weather in the days ahead for them to get a good start. I planted Dixondale Candy transplants. Any advice for a new onion grower?

Meatburner

Use their planting directions and you will have wonderful monster onions. Their method really works great.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yep! I think you are in for a massive harvest.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yep! I think you are in for a massive harvest.

..... ????? This software is weird. Why did I get a double post?
Last edited by jal_ut on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

Dixondale is really good. There is a lot of useful information on their website with tips on growing the best bulbs.

friedokrie
Newly Registered

It's been 2 weeks today since I put the transplants in. They look exactly the same. No better or worse. Should I expect to see some signs of growth by now? The bed is adequately watered and the weather hasn't been too harsh.

applestar
Mod

Most of the growth is probably underground, both because of the time of the year -- ground temp will be cold to freezing (still frozen under the first couple of inches here in most parts of the garden ) regardless of the air temp -- as well as because that's the first thing they do when transplanted -- establish a good root system... Then they will take off.

If you want to be sure, you could dig one up.

friedokrie
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply. I'm beginning to think it's just too cool for them to do much yet. I'm guessing the soil temp here is still in the 40's and the weather has been relatively cool, not cold. And the ground here never really freezes for any extended period of time. A week here or there, but that's about it. I'm looking forward to seeing them take off! I get so antsy about the spring warm up!

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

friedokrie wrote:It's been 2 weeks today since I put the transplants in. They look exactly the same. No better or worse. Should I expect to see some signs of growth by now? The bed is adequately watered and the weather hasn't been too harsh.
I had the same experience with Dixondale starts back in 2013. Absolutely zero visible activity for the first 3 weeks. And then they started growing, and I had a good crop.

I think it takes them awhile to come out of dormancy before they start to grow.

Meatburner

Friend, what zone are you in? It seems really early in TN to have onions in the ground. I am in zone 6a/b and don't put onions in the ground for another month here.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I planted a bag of onion sets on March 10. Also planted some pea seeds the same day.

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”