JayPoc
Greener Thumb

just planted out 120ish onion starts

Came in from planting and had an e-mail...Dixondale Farms emailing to tell me my order had shipped! :eek: :eek: :eek:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You mean the order you just planted? Hmmmmm

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Yeah...I was actually expecting them next week, but they showed up Friday. Got the mail saying they had shipped Saturday afternoon, after I planted 'em.

applestar
Mod

Maybe that means mine will be here soon! :()

Mr green
Green Thumb

Atleast the delivery was in time! :D

Peter1142
Green Thumb

This happened to me too. Got the onions and leeks early, and got the shipped email after they were delivered. They look nice, just a week too early to plant :(

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Peter1142 wrote:This happened to me too. Got the onions and leeks early, and got the shipped email after they were delivered. They look nice, just a week too early to plant :(
Where are you? You're probably good to go to plant them...

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I'm in SE NY... it was forecast 19 tonight and 20F tomorrow night... plus, there was still some snow on the ground this morning.

The deer are so crazed they ate my elephant garlic that sprouted in the Fall.... I'm gonna have to put them in my fenced garden, I was hoping to plant them outside to save some space.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Onions are cool weather plants. They can survive some freezing nights. I would wait till the snow is off though.
Small onion plants in a bundle can be stored quite nicely in the refrigerator for a time.

Ya, deer, I too have seen them in the garden nibbling on the garlic and onion starts.

Some time back when I had some dogs, I staked a long cable down along the long side of the garden, back about 8 feet, and put a pulley and short chain on the cable to tie a dog to. The dog then had the run of the length of garden, tho could
not actually get in the garden. That really helped keep critters out.

I put a radio in the corn patch to keep out raccoons. This may discourage deer too?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

JayPoc your experience kinda tops mine with Kitazawa Seed several weeks ago.

I did order some onion seed from them but I think the similarities end about there ... ;)

I looked at my emails. I'm not sure when I completed my online order but know that I stopped for lunch before going to "payment." Kitazawa sent a received and thank you at 2:41pm. At 2:47, another email: "order has shipped!"

The package of seed showed up in my mailbox 2 days later.

:) Steve

Peter1142
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Onions are cool weather plants. They can survive some freezing nights. I would wait till the snow is off though.
Small onion plants in a bundle can be stored quite nicely in the refrigerator for a time.

Ya, deer, I too have seen them in the garden nibbling on the garlic and onion starts.

Some time back when I had some dogs, I staked a long cable down along the long side of the garden, back about 8 feet, and put a pulley and short chain on the cable to tie a dog to. The dog then had the run of the length of garden, tho could
not actually get in the garden. That really helped keep critters out.

I put a radio in the corn patch to keep out raccoons. This may discourage deer too?
Per Dixondale onions should not be planted out if temps will be below 20. Also the leeks tend to bolt if planted too early, or so I've read. I think next weekend will be good.

My dog would do little to deter the deer, unless she was out 24/7, they would not hesitate to come when she's not there. They are afraid of little around here, and this time of year when there is nothing growing, they will eat anything. They even ate christmas hollies and boxwoods.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I should explain that the dogs were coon hound type dogs. Big and loud. Also their little hut was there at the end of the cable run and they were out all the time. Never in my house.

How about a little venison steak?
Huck a Cherry Bomb at 'em?
Shoot 'em in the butt with a good pellet gun?
Maybe the three S method? Shoot, Shovel, Shut up!

I know.......... likely illegal, but last I heard the destruction pf private property was illegal too?

Contact the local fish and game commission and let them know your problem. You might tell them
either get them removed or you will.

It is pretty obvious the deer think they are in charge. You need to wake them up and put them on the defensive.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Aside from the fact that I am a vegetarian, I live in a suburban neighborhood, and no one would let you shoot deer in your backyard.

The deer are constantly migrating through our town and there is really no taking charge of them, unless the whole area were to rise up against them. They wouldn't stick around in my particular yard long enough to learn.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I have to fence everything from the deer. I had 150 deer in my yard the winter of 2014 and got an outside dog for this winter, no tracks from the deer at all. They do eat everything, including strawberries next to the house, evergreens and paint of the house. They would leave trails of poop through the trees by spring. So glad for the dog.

I would be unable to plant anything here yet. Snow and the ground is frozen. I know this because the dog tries to dig holes in the yard. Guess I will keep that fence up for the dog. :roll:

applestar
Mod

applestar wrote:Maybe that means mine will be here soon! :()
I received my onion plants today! :D ...so OF COURSE we have a forecast Low of 21°F tomoroow night. :roll: ...just when I thought all the rain has finally thawed the frozen ground... :?

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I have had mine planted for a 1 1/2 weeks. I covered them with the leaves I have piled over the garden yesterday. Hopefully they make it the next few days. It was 19 this morning.

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”