ChrisC_77

Candy Onion Harvest

This was my 1st time ever growing onions. I am happy overall and has been a learning experience. My daughter helped me harvest them (even though she hates onions) She also pulled herself a carrot, washed it in the sink and at it right in the yard. She said "You are right, things do taste better when you grow them yourself.

My onions looked like they haven't grown in over a week. The tips are turning dry on most of the onions. I probably could have let them die off a bit more, but I wasn't sure it was going to bulb up any bigger. I am letting them dry for a few days before I cut the greens off. Then I will let them cure for I think 1-2 weeks. I am saving my meshed bags we buy oranges in for the onions. Any other tips or advice for a newbie onion grower would be much appreciated.
Attachments
onions2014.JPG
onions2014.JPG (48.6 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

imafan26
Mod

nice.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I planted those same candy onion sets (not so many of them!) and they have done very well for me too. I usually plant onion seed in the fall and the onions do not bulb up for me as well as these spring planted sets have done. My best onions ever!

VeggieGardenGal

That's an impressive harvest for your 1st time.

ChrisC_77

VeggieGardenGal wrote:That's an impressive harvest for your 1st time.
Thank you. I owe it to the great folks here, youtube, and my own dedicated research. I couldn't have done it with out the success of others before me. I used onion starts from dixondale farms. Starts are a bit more pricey, but for me saves a lot of hassle. I got 2 bunches for 15.00. About 200 live transplants. I shared them with 4-5 others.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Nice! I usually let them fall over and dry up a bit more. If they don't co-operate and start flowering I pull them and lay them on there side to dry a bit in the hot sun. If it is going to be rainy I bring them inside and put them in basement on cardboard or newspaper with good circulation.

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”