SLC

Onions... how soon to trim & bring outdoors?

I know it's too late to start onions, but it's a long story and it can't hurt to try. I started some onions indoors under grow lights May 22. They are all sprouted and already 2-3 inches high. So I have two questions:

1. How soon before I should start trimming them? I read it helps them grow stronger.

2. How soon before I can start bringing them outdoors so I can transplant them?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

imafan26
Mod

Onions are sensitive to day length and you have to get the right variety and plant them at the right time.

applestar
Mod

I don't quite get the reason for trimming them. I only trimmed seedlings if they flopped over due to insufficient light. Grown directly under the fluorescent lights, they never really flopped.

Not sure about your question regarding outside. You could be growing them outside. Onions are typically sown as soon as ground can be worked, and onion plants can be planted a month before last average frost. You could really have directly sown the seeds outside if you can keep the patch watered and weeded.

Some references say you can plant them out when they are as thick as No. 2 pencil LEAD -- or about as thick as a toothpick. But they are more susceptible to slug/snail predation at that size. Other references say -- and purchased plants are typically -- as thick AS No. 2 pencils. It's easier to mulch them right away at that size.

Starting them this late, you are not likely to get any real bulbs in the onions, but you can eat them as green onions. Give them lots of high N fertilizer or fish emulsion to get them to grow quickly (this is reminding me that I meant to fertilize mine over the weekend....)

Imafan gave you good references. Dixondale provides very thorough and specific growing information. :D

SLC

Long story but garden was just tilled up yesterday, and I didn't know how long it would be so I just started them indoors. I am lucky it got tilled finally.

So I shouldn't trim them? Are they too little to start bringing outside so I can transfer them in a week? Even if I get little onions that is fine. I don't know that summer will ever get here anyway.

applestar
Mod

What did you start the seeds in? If you can make sure they don't dry out -- not in small or shallow containers -- you can bring them outside to acclimate gradually at any time. Start in shade, slowly increase sun exposure, etc.

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”