ChrisC_77

Dixondale Farms onion starts

Has anyone ever ordered starts from them? I just received my order. I chose them based on a Youtube review. I have never grown onions before. Are they ever generous. My order was $15.00 total and I received about 200 candy onion starts. I am in the process of giving about 100 away to various people.
Attachments
onions.JPG
onions.JPG (44.57 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
onions.JPG
onions.JPG (44.57 KiB) Viewed 1809 times

webmaster
Site Admin

Geez, those look nice. Are you going to put those in the ground now?

If you have the link to the video it'd be great if you posted it, I'm interested in watching it. ;)

Here's the link to Dixondale Farms, based in Texas. Looks pretty good!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice! Those little starts will do very well. Plant them about 6 inches apart in the row and watch them grow.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I got those same Candy onion starts from a different company. It is my first time to do onion starts -- they are expensive and I really don't need 150 of them (which is how mine came). Unlike seeds, I can't save them for next year. So I have always done onion from seeds, but it's been hard for me to get very big/ bulbing onions that way, so I'm trying this to see how it works.

applestar
Mod

I had a bad feeling when I saw your post early this morning.... Yesterday, everybody was sick here and nobody checked the mail or went outside. Last night I had the nagging feeling that I should go check the mail but just wasn't up to it....

Later this morning as he left for work, DH tossed in my Dixodale package that had been left on the front porch without ringing the doorbell (mail delivery is mid afternoon)... and it had gone down to 20°F last night. :(

Not only that, 1/3 of the package is caved in. The deformed package had been placed in a plastic bag by the post office with a sticker that it had arrived damaged. Upside, the plastic bag *may* have helped some, but probably not :? — too discouraged to do much so I just put the whole thing out in the garage to "thaw". Let's hope these plants are hardy. :|

Yours look great though! Keep us posted on their progress this season! 8)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah you will be back. I get Dixondale every year for the past several years never a disappointment. If you ever need help they will answer anything you have to ask over many different mediums. Just put in 3 bundles a few weeks ago. Cant wait.

Candy, Big Daddy (thanks for the idea James, he suggested these a while back), and a new red I can't think of now,

Oh yeah the more you buy the cheaper they are. Very good company, and very happy to work with you as far as delivery dates. Sorry if this sounds like I work for them, which I do not. But I have yet to find anything negative about Dixondale after 5-6 years of business.

Good choice and good luck

ChrisC_77

I am going to plant mine on Thursday. It is going to be more seasonal temperatures then for about a week and will give them a chance to establish. I am sure we will see a few more nights in the 20's, but they should be fine once they have been in the ground for awhile.

As far as the price goes. Seems fair and since onions store reasonably well, I should get plenty of use. I will probably recoup my cost after we have harvested and consumed 15 or so onions. And the satisfaction from sharing some of these with others is worth it.

This is my 1st attempt at growing onions. I did start walla walla from seed in containers. I broadcasted the seeds in 3 4x4 containers. They came up but really stunted. Possibly too crowded. I might try from seed again another time. I would like to know what you all do if you start from seed. It's always a learning experience and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Dixondale for the win this year.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Remember to mulch BEFORE planting. I use straw and whatnot. It is very hard to mulch after planted. Onions don't like weed competition.

Again good luck

Meatburner

Dixondale onions have been a big winner for us. I got mine last week and planted according to their planting instructions with the trench between the rows. They are 3" apart so I can pick every other one as green onions. Ours almost all got to softball size last year. Absolutely amazing!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I planted some of those small onions, not sure if from Dixondale, but they sure did great. The variety was Big Daddy.

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”