Gardener123
Green Thumb

What is an onion with a strong flavor?

Zone 6.... And with the least amount of sweetness. Looking for something intense, or as intense as there is, anyway. Thanks!

billw
Cool Member

You might try potato onions or shallots. Yellow storage onions are usually pretty sharp.

imafan26
Mod

The sweetness of the onions not only depend on variety but on soil and climate. Sweet Vidalia onions are true Vidalia's grown in that region. Sweet Maui onions are the same seeds as Texas grano, but the climate and soil makes them taste different. When I grow Maui onions they are only sweet for a couple of weeks after harvest after that they get quite pungent.

In your zone you will probably be looking at long day onions

This is a link where you can find descriptions of onions you may like to try.

https://www.dixondalefarms.com/category/long_day_onions

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Strong flavor in onion is due to the presence of sulfur.

Sulfur is what lets a storage onion keep.

Select onions with claims of good storage quality.

A Vidalea onion is a short day onion grown in a county in Georgia with very low sulfur. Long day onion is grown in the north. I think you want to grow onion well north of the Mason & Dixon line.

I just went to check your location. You can grow long day onion there.

Brown Spanish, etc.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Thanks, all. Love my strong onions!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The Yellow Spanish Onions have good flavor. They should do well in your area. You might also like the Egyptian Walking Onions. These are nice once you get a start, you have onions forever. Some of my friends call them Forever Onions.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

TY... will look that one up!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

High Sulfur Acid is what makes an onion have a strong flavor.

Weather conditions and soil has a lot to do with the flavor of the vegetables we grow. White onions have a stronger favor than yellow onions. Yellow onions have a better flavor. Egyptian Walking Onions have a very strong onion flavor.

When I moved from Illinois to Tennessee I noticed my garden vegetables tasted different. When I moved from Tennessee to Arizona my garden vegetables taste completely different. I have been a wine maker for 40 years there are lots of articles written about the how climate and soil effect the flavor of grapes and the final product, wine. If you grow the same grapes in 40 different geographical locations they will all taste slightly different. Vegetables are the same way.

You may need to experiment with several different onions and different soils to get the exact flavor your looking for. Start out with an onion that is generally considered to be a strong onion, plant several different crops in several different soils. You can not change your climate but you can put different things of different crops like, sulfur, wood ask, manure, compost, etc. to see how it effects the onion.

It sounds logical to me if you put sulfur in your soil that might increase the sulfuric acid in your onion.

If you slice an onion then put it in an open container in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks to allow the onion to dehydrate the water evaporates leaving a much stronger onion flavor.

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

You ever try ramps? :lol:

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”