Keating Wines
Newly Registered

Best Temperature for Storing Onions?

I harvested all of my red onions, and picked a few of my yellow onions (mainly for thinning purposes). I am curing them outside for the next couple of weeks, and then I need to store them. I was planning on hanging them in nylon or mesh, but I am not sure if there is a cool enough spot in my house.

What temperature do you think would be okay for them to last a couple of months? It's only about 25 onions, so I will go through them fairly quick.

If I do not have the right conditions to hang them, what do you suggest I do to store them?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Ideal is between 40 & 50. But even if you don't have a cool place like that, you can still hang them in any dark airy space.

Keating Wines
Newly Registered

Thanks, Rainbow. I have a crawl space that might work. There is some airflow that goes through and it never gets over 70 degrees.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

They will keep all winter here just hanging in a mesh bag in the basement. Temp is around 66-72 all the time. Of course we have low humidity here. If you are in a more humid area, it may be tougher to store onions.

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”