SOB
Green Thumb

What is Eating my Onions?

I planted a couple hundred onions this fall and everything is growing great except for the occasional plant being nibbled off at the ground. About every other day I find one, maybe two, plants that look like they were nibbled.

If it were a rabbit I would expect to see it completely chomped through at a 45 degree angle and a few inches off the ground.

This almost looks like a caterpillar or something. This last one I found I did see some ants crawling out of it but they could have just been getting any water out of it they could (it's been a DRY may)! Once I saw the ants I thought aphids but none to be found.

I did have cabbage worms (the black and yellow ones) cut off some tomato seedlings at ground level this year. First time I have ever had problems with cabbage worms on tomatoes - could they be coming after my onions for a taste too?

In fact, I read that you plant tomatoes and onions (among other things) to repel cabbage worms. I have a couple hundred garlic planted right next to the onions and they are not being touched.

Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Are you sure they are not cutworms?

SOB
Green Thumb

Ohhhh! Well, I guess that's it. Forget the Cabbage Worms. Guess it's time to do some research on cutworms. Any suggestions while I look?

EDIT: I guess I need to apply my Dipel to EVERYTHING this year!

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”