joed2323

growing onions, dumb questions

Ok sorry if I come off dumb, I just have never grown onions and this year I'm going to, as soon as the snow quits hopefully before mid summer :>

I do not get why you can get onion seed, onion plants w/roots, and onion bulbs why so many choices???

I picked up red onion bulbs, yellow onion bulbs.. Also picked up Georgia sweet onion plants and red onion plants the kind with the roots attached, also how do these not die or dry out sitting on the shelves in the stores like this?

I'm sure I have way more onion then I probably need, or maybe not since I have no idea why I'm doing with onions...

Why would a person want to grow onion from seeds when you can get them in the bulb form or plant form...

Sorry guys for not understanding really anything about onions... I picked up short day variety as well hopefully thats correct with me living in michigan.

Did I buy the right kind of onions to grow being I have no idea about onions

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Did I buy the right kind of onions to grow being I have no idea about onions
You need to grow the long day varieties there. The short day onions will grow, but you probably better use them as green onions. They will want to bulb early and will likely make small bulbs.

joed2323

darn I bought the wrong ones, the only ones the store had that are long day type are those walla walla ones, I guess I will go buy some of those then

Return to “Onion Gardening Forum”